45 ACP Reload Beginner Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBadJohn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I did another tester increasing the flare and paying attention to the orientation of the bullet before I seated it and that one chambered. Crimping it will help the problem also.

This is the first auto caliber that I have tried, never had a problem with .38s going in crooked, is this more of a problem with .45 or just how much I flared it?

.38 Spcls headspace on the rim. .45 ACP headspace on the mouth. Its just takes a bit more attention to detail. The taper crimp die will solve most of those problems for ya.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I finally figured out that when reloading with lead bullets that if you don't have a 4 die set with a taper crimp die that you can accomplish almost the same thing with a 3 die set by first running them thru the seat/crimp die with it backed off a wee bit to seat the bullet but not crimp, You can then run the die down and run them thru again for crimping or eliminating the bell. Its kinda a pain to have the adjust it twice but it keeps from shaving the lead and screwing up the head space.

Latest posts

Top Bottom