581 people have been shot and killed by police so far in 2017

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I know personally. Right before I started dating my wife, she had been dating an officer who turned out to be bad. He was ultimately fired but she suffered before he was. :(

My lay opinion is the concentration of "Type-A" personalities, exposure to all manner of human cruelty and the stress of managing unknown contacts on a daily basis, all contribute to the much higher percentage versus the regular public.

I have no doubt all of that may be true, but it doesn't excuse the behavior.

I have no problem with the split second decisions officers have to make when they find themselves in certain situations and would NEVER presume to second guess them. However, there is no denying that a statistically high number of officers have poor coping mechanisms for what they deal with on a day-to-day basis and the general public and those officer's families are the ones who suffer because of that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no doubt all of that may be true, but it doesn't excuse the behavior.

I have no problem with the split second decisions officers have to make when they find themselves in certain situations and would NEVER presume to second guess them. However, there is no denying that a statistically high number of officers have poor coping mechanisms for what they deal with on a day-to-day basis and the general public and those officer's families are the ones who suffer because of that.

I am in 100% agreement with you.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found an interesting article the other day about violent behaviors in cops. It had a lot of stats I'm not going to quote without having the article to link to and because Im sure Ill be labeled a cop hater. But one of the more interesting stats was about domestic violence. The national average is 1 in 4 women will be victims of Domestic Violence but according the to article that number jumped to 1 in 2 when the women were married to police officers. The article did qoute its sources and Ill be glad to try and find it again for anyone interested.
The same thing goes for female cops though. I believe the same article stated that.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a recent publication that is interesting and relevant:

Abstract: "Due to a lack of data, the demographic and psychological factors associated with lethal force by police officers have remained insufficiently explored. We develop the first predictive models of lethal force by integrating crowd-sourced and fact-checked lethal force databases with regional demographics and measures of geolocated implicit and explicit racial biases collected from 2,156,053 residents across the United States. Results indicate that only the implicit racial prejudices and stereotypes of White residents, beyond major demographic covariates, are associated with disproportionally more use of lethal force with Blacks relative to regional base rates of Blacks in the population. Thus, the current work provides the first macropsychological statistical models of lethal force, indicating that the context in which police officers work is significantly associated with disproportionate use of lethal force" (http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550617711229).

Full text here (non-copyedited version): https://mfr.osf.io/render?url=https://osf.io/54gwt/?action=download&mode=render

Latest posts

Top Bottom