6.5 creedmoor vs 308win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you gonna do with it? I just purchased a 16” 308 over the 6.5 creedmore offering for a suppressed hunting rifle. A few reasons I picked the 308 over the 6.5 creedmore are…
I have +/- 1500 rounds of 308 and 0 of 6.5 creedmore.
I own several 308 guns, not that it matters but I have ammo for em already.
308 is supposed to have more energy inside of 500 yards but I bet the deer wouldn’t notice the difference between the two.

If I was going to buy a gun for longer range accuracy I would have went with the creedmore in a longer barrel.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.308 you will need a full camo outfit, boots, and a little pinch of copenhagen.
6.5 Creedmoore you will need a flower dress, high heals, and an umbrella.

I'm just kidding, this is the age old "what round is better" argument that has no winners or losers.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never owned a .308, just it's big brother in 30-06.
At typical deer hunting ranges, both worked perfectly to take down deer sized animals. With properly placed shots and the correct bullet, I'm sure the 6.5 manbun could take down elk sized animals.

Properly placed shots and the correct bullet for the job at hand runs across every caliber out there.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Properly placed shots and the correct bullet for the job at hand runs across every caliber out there.
^^^^This right here pretty well sums up the vast majority of these “which is better” caliber discussions. Every time I see someone claim a certain caliber is inadequate for deer or pigs or elk or whatever my first thought is that the person made a bad shot and had to blame something besides his lack of preparation. :rolleyes2

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a general purpose hunting ( deer, elk, pig, etc) out to 300 yds- the .308 is superior. If you regularly shoot 300+, want to do long range target stuff, etc- then the creedmore/.260 rem might be for you. As for “ seen bad things happen with .308”- what? A miss? Bad shot placement?

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a general purpose hunting ( deer, elk, pig, etc) out to 300 yds- the .308 is superior. If you regularly shoot 300+, want to do long range target stuff, etc- then the creedmore/.260 rem might be for you. As for “ seen bad things happen with .308”- what? A miss? Bad shot placement?
My daughter shot one through the lungs that run off with no blood and went about 150 yards we just happened to come across it when we were leaving I know this can happen with other calibers too but it hasn’t happened with the 6.5 yet I have had friends had the same thing happen more than once with 308 and all 3 quit using them

Latest posts

Top Bottom