6.5 creedmoor vs 308win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter shot one through the lungs that run off with no blood and went about 150 yards we just happened to come across it when we were leaving I know this can happen with other calibers too but it hasn’t happened with the 6.5 yet I have had friends had the same thing happen more than once with 308 and all 3 quit using them
Do you get a good blood trail with the creedmore? What yardage are y’all shooting at? I own several 6.5 Grendel’s which is supposed to be a great round for the ar platform. I hesitate to use it because I read stories of hunters not finding a blood trail, most saying the deer dont go far after being shot. I shot one with my 223 and not a drop of blood but only went about 20 yards. I’d hate to lose a deer cause I couldn’t find a blood trail.

wolfkpr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter shot one through the lungs that run off with no blood and went about 150 yards we just happened to come across it when we were leaving I know this can happen with other calibers too but it hasn’t happened with the 6.5 yet I have had friends had the same thing happen more than once with 308 and all 3 quit using them
I think if i saw that happen even once i would immediately question what rounds were used.. .30 caliber softpoint at .308 velocites ( and .30-06 is about 90 fps faster in factory loads)- have killed more game in north america than probably any other.. and if i thought that sucked would i go to the same size case with smaller bullets, the same bullet designs and almost the same velocities? No. Good luck

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If she hit both lungs and it went 150 yards, that's one tough deer. I'm by far no expert but from what Ive seen, if both lungs are hit they go 40-50 at the most.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got a 6.5 CM and was not impressed.
I really thought the velocity would be higher than it was with the 140 gr bullets.
22" barrel I suppose does not do it any favors.
I like short barrels and some testing I have done with Ruger American 22" vs my 18" savage Model 10 showed me the model 10 barrel is a fast barrel.

Lets say you did get lucky and got a fast barrel.

Some trajectory math I had Shooters Calculator do.

All 24" barrels load data from Hodgdon

.308 at 2900fps with 155 ELDM. 100 zero 10 mph wind. Yards below
200 : -3.29
400 : -27.42.
600 : -82.07---- Drift 29.02 ----1136 energy.

6.5 CM 24" 140 ELDM 2780 FPS
200 : -3.50.
400 :-27.81.
600 :-79.90-----Drift 20.58---energy 1241.

6.5 CM again with 123 ELDM 2900 fps is easy to get.
200 : -3.23.
400 : -26.69.
600 : -78.92.---Drift 25.86----energy 987.

I put the 123 gr in there because I hunt and found smaller more fragile bullets put the smack down on deer -hogs and other critters.
My favorite round is a 55 V-Max in an AR or bolt rifle 2700-3200 fps.
Nothing gets up from being hit with that in the right spot.
500+ lb hogs included.

Like was stated already pick a bullet for the job at hand.

I will put this here if I can't make an accurate load for a rifle it does not go hunting with me.
My hunting rifles stay under 5" at 500 yards.
The .223 is the winner for my rifles with under 1" at 300 yards.
Deer and pig shots for me 95% of the time are under 200 yards.
Neck shots.
That heart or double lung sends them running.

If you want to anchor under 300 yards on a deer with .308 or 6.5 go heavy and bust right through both shoulders. 178 A max was awesome as is the 168A max. for tearing up shoulders.
I have done that and it sure puts the minus on the table meat.
That is why I went light and neck shoot them.

One last note.
Some deer do not know they are dead yet and keep on trucking.

Every one of them I shot in the neck knew they were DRT.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you get a good blood trail with the creedmore? What yardage are y’all shooting at? I own several 6.5 Grendel’s which is supposed to be a great round for the ar platform. I hesitate to use it because I read stories of hunters not finding a blood trail, most saying the deer dont go far after being shot. I shot one with my 223 and not a drop of blood but only went about 20 yards. I’d hate to lose a deer cause I couldn’t find a blood trail.
My kid hunts with a 6.5 Grendel, the Hornady 123gr SST will drop a deer like a rock. I smack coyotes with the same gun, great round for deer from my perspective.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They shoot the 129 grain SST’s every deer they have shot has left a blood trail and went down within 30 yards except for one grandson hit a buck low he went about 200 yards maybe and left a decent blood trail right to him he shot one this year with a 123 grain sst that went about 30 yard’s and left a good blood trail with a double lung shot

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you recoil shy? I went with a 308 because I was looking for a shorty hunting rifle. I had my eye on several 300wm. If I was gonna get a +22” barreled gun it would have been in a 300wm flavor for a hunting rifle.
Not recoil shy just think 300winmag is overkill for deer around here and by the time I’m done sighting it in I am a little sore

Latest posts

Top Bottom