6.5x47 Lapua

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For my money I went with a 260 Remington. I am getting 2900-2950 FPS out of a 25" barrel. That is 6.5x284 velocities in a short action magazine fed rifle. Admittedly, this barrel is still new in my book, and I do not know how long it will last at this speed.

Now that Lapua is making 260 brass, I don't believe I would ever consider the 6.5x47 anymore. The cartridge does not have the boiler room of the 260. Accuracy is .5moa or better (5 rounds) off of a bipod depending on how well one can shoot. Another real advantage, at least for me, is if they stop making either cartridge I can form 260 from 243 or the popular 308.

Unless you already have a Remington action, I would consider a custom action before building on a Remington. For a few dollars more you are getting an action that was manufactured true, instead of spending money to make the action true. Look at Surgeon or Defiance Machine.

http://defiancemachine.com/rebel-action/

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/

Thanks, I am was thinking of going with the Surgeon actions. Cost a little more but it should be worth it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't you provide actual information instead of just grilling him?

I asked a couple questions to see what advice I would give. He played coy. He's already read about how awesome it was on the Internet and made up his mind. Picking 6.5x47 isn't going to make you awesome because it's awesome. If you're just starting out there are capable rounds that will allow you to get more trigger time for less money. Trigger time makes you awesome not the caliber and action choice.

Correct. Hitting the gong 10/10 is MOA. Missing it once or more is not.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6" @ 600yds is MOA...lol

6.5x47 is a damn fine round for distance. Jon Beanland (Beanland Custom Rifles) shoots it in his comp rifle and podiums a lot of matches... But he's also one heck of a shooter. You should have him quote you one. If you want to step up to a 6.5x284 lapua, it'll turn a prairie dog into pink mist at a half mile.

And be sure to save some money for optics.

Jon is a fantastic smith, but now he is shooting a short (~16-17") 6.5 creedmoor for his coyote rifle. 6.5 Creedmoor actually has factory available ammunition for both matches and hunting. Hornady makes 123gn & 140gn Amax match ammo and 139 SST hunting ammo. The 6.5 Creed, 6.5 lapua and 260, although all work on different pressures, they all are just about the same ballistically. The Lapua is harder on brass and requires a bushed firing pin to operate at the higher pressure. The 260 has less neck length to chase the lands. The best option of the three cartridges noted above, in my worthless opinion, is a 6.5 creedmoor. It's my next build on a Stiller Tac30 A/W, as soon as Manners can cough up a T-6.

Let the flaming begin.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jon is a fantastic smith, but now he is shooting a short (~16-17") 6.5 creedmoor for his coyote rifle. 6.5 Creedmoor actually has factory available ammunition for both matches and hunting. Hornady makes 123gn & 140gn Amax match ammo and 139 SST hunting ammo. The 6.5 Creed, 6.5 lapua and 260, although all work on different pressures, they all are just about the same ballistically. The Lapua is harder on brass and requires a bushed firing pin to operate at the higher pressure. The 260 has less neck length to chase the lands. The best option of the three cartridges noted above, in my worthless opinion, is a 6.5 creedmoor. It's my next build on a Stiller Tac30 A/W, as soon as Manners can cough up a T-6.

Let the flaming begin.

Nothing that was said in this post is remotely inflamatory, nor is it untrue. There should be no reason for flaming. 6.5 Creedmoor is a valid choice if factory available ammunition is a want or need for an individual. Being able to chase the lands is really only a consideration if you are a reloader though.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mo what does this mean? Can you elaborate?

You can't improve on 6.5x47 with modern metallurgy and powders. It was designed from scratch with the most modern resources available - form follows function; which is not true for 99% cartridges out there, where they try to shoehorn caliber A into action B with a bolt face C. There hasn't been a cartridge like that since 222Rem.

You can go bigger case like 6.5CM or 260 or 260AI - but all you are adding is powder consumption, recoil, barrel wear and marginal (if any) speed. The 6.5x47 pressure will be higher - but the brass life is longer due to design of brass (small primer, undersized and not recessed flash hole).

You can go smaller - like 6.5-6BRX and with just 2% less powder capacity you loose 100FPS.

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Let the flaming begin.

True, his new short creedmore is bad to the bone. Has he re-stocked it yet?

MadMonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it's a great round...it's just super expensive. However if you were to reload brass might be high but I bet you could save a little there. I've thought about the same type of deal but after adding up all the expense, I think it might be a challenge to get your money out of it some day...expecially for paper punching. I know you said long range hunting...and I could see that in places like Colorado where you're shooting across a canyon but here in OK, I don't have a lot of use. I understand though it would be fricken cool to just have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom