6.5x47 Lapua

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I asked a couple questions to see what advice I would give. He played coy. He's already read about how awesome it was on the Internet and made up his mind. Picking 6.5x47 isn't going to make you awesome because it's awesome. If you're just starting out there are capable rounds that will allow you to get more trigger time for less money. Trigger time makes you awesome not the caliber and action choice.

Correct. Hitting the gong 10/10 is MOA. Missing it once or more is not.

Dude your just a Pr!ck! Get a life...

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to build my son a bechrest target rifle if he choses to go with one & not another hunting rig, as long as he keeps his end of the deal. I was looking at this caliber. I like odd not main stream calibers, have a 260 that shoots great & could use the same bullet with a different powder/primer if all works out. I reload all our ammo for the most part & I have been turning to the Laupa brass at $1 a piece orso for 260 & 6.5x47, also just picked up a 6br & laupa brass, I am not a great shooter but I like to shoot non run of the mill cartriges. I just shoot to shoot, I was hoping that in time maybe my son may want to shoot in some matches he usually does better that I do anyhow. My 2 cents shoot what you want & if you reload you can, if you don't reload the more common calibers may be the way to go

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't improve on 6.5x47 with modern metallurgy and powders. It was designed from scratch with the most modern resources available - form follows function; which is not true for 99% cartridges out there, where they try to shoehorn caliber A into action B with a bolt face C. There hasn't been a cartridge like that since 222Rem.

You can go bigger case like 6.5CM or 260 or 260AI - but all you are adding is powder consumption, recoil, barrel wear and marginal (if any) speed. The 6.5x47 pressure will be higher - but the brass life is longer due to design of brass (small primer, undersized and not recessed flash hole).

You can go smaller - like 6.5-6BRX and with just 2% less powder capacity you loose 100FPS.

I understand what you were meaning now. Thank you for clarifying. Despite the 100fps or more velocity advantage (if I push) is probably completely irrelevant in the field in all but the most windy conditions.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might not even be an advantage pushing 100fps faster if your trade off is accuracy as it often times is when you push.

It is less than a half moa off the bench. I average about 1 moa or less for 5 shots off a bipod, so my rifle is not the limiting factor in my accuracy search. Give either cartridge to a world class shooter and I bet the best shooter comes out on top!

Latest posts

Top Bottom