This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangutu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK still trying to figure this site out, old not real tech savvy, have a742 trying to get ready for niece, spent shell will eject if only one round in magazine if more than one will not, thinking magazine, but barrel has some bad spots, thinking expanded case in chamber, scratch marks on rim and case, if you put spent casing back in gun will eject any help out there?

Dangutu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really had it for 45plus years hardly any marks in receiver it was my mom's she gave it to niece, chamber looks a little pitted, like I mentioned earlier will eject if only one round is used, but two or three in magazine won't eject, spent round, but you can put fired round back in and it will eject

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Dangutu, I’d probably brush the chamber really good. Maybe even chuck a brass brush up in a drill and clean it real good.
Next thing, are you using mainly your phone to access OSA?
The 742 is a gas operated semi auto rifle so it's not capable of pulling the bolt and using a brush on a drill.
Killed my first rifle deer with one and a bunch more.
I agree with brushing the chamber, but it takes a complete take down and even then, it's not a straight shot into the chamber.
I used an offset chamber brush when owning my 742 that was issued by the US Army back in the 70's to clean M-16's.
It's steel brushes with a bend in the wire handle to do a quick chamber clean in the field after sustained fired. Rifles got dirty pretty quick back then with the junk powder they issued.
Still have it somewhere around here and I'll try to find it for a pic tomorrow if I remember, but since they are not available anymore, I have folks get the stiff nylon bottle neck brushes with solvent and a wire handle and bend the appropriate angle to it so one can go into the chamber without needing to break down the rifle. AR's are simple, the 742's and Browning BAR's are not so easy.
I think @retreiverman has some European rifles that don't break down easily.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are a pain in the butt. the barrel block has a allen screw you take out, then see if Ball bearing insde is rusted/corroded in place. remove it,clean it, put it back, and make sure port is not clogged. reassemble, Hope and Pray , Then go buy a better gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom