This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read Remington updated/improved the bolt lugs in 1980. Changed from a multi lugged small width-to-larger, beefier, fewer lug bolt face design. I get the impression that the disassembly/maintenance procedure was complex enough that it caused the more casual, uninterested rifle owners to disregard that chore. Wondered if that accelerated the wear and eventual failure to function of that model.?

KD7SXA

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read Remington updated/improved the bolt lugs in 1980. Changed from a multi lugged small width-to-larger, beefier, fewer lug bolt face design. I get the impression that the disassembly/maintenance procedure was complex enough that it caused the more casual, uninterested rifle owners to disregard that chore. Wondered if that accelerated the wear and eventual failure to function of that model.?
The 742 can also have issues with the bolt assembly rubbing on the inside top surface of the receiver, producing metal shavings and a rough surface. Could the increased spring pressure of multiple rounds in mag be pressing bolt harder against the top?

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not had trouble with mine so far . but as others have said they need to be clean. Clean guide rod and recoil spring and oil it good. Gas tube of course, and if it's been sitting a long time make sure it's not rusted around gas tube. Pull two pins and whole trigger assy will pull out. Make sure safety stays on or hold hammer and ease it down . Check and really clean good rails where bolt slides. I use gun grease and lightly grease these. And wherever looks like wear point. Some say don't use grease as low temperatures can mess it up but there's several good brands rated to way below zero now days. Also I heard that aftermarket mags can cause problems, I bought an original remington 2 round mag off internet recently just to have backup and it works great. Good luck!

Dangutu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not had trouble with mine so far . but as others have said they need to be clean. Clean guide rod and recoil spring and oil it good. Gas tube of course, and if it's been sitting a long time make sure it's not rusted around gas tube. Pull two pins and whole trigger assy will pull out. Make sure safety stays on or hold hammer and ease it down . Check and really clean good rails where bolt slides. I use gun grease and lightly grease these. And wherever looks like wear point. Some say don't use grease as low temperatures can mess it up but there's several good brands rated to way below zero now days. Also I heard that aftermarket mags can cause problems, I bought an original remington 2 round mag off internet recently just to have backup and it works great. Good luck!
Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom