9mm Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know the better 9mm+p rounds for personal defense. Always heard corbon is good.

Also, are they really harder on your handgun?

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't claim to know the specifics of the differences between standard and +P ammo, but I think the increased pressure that is developed from the "stronger" +p loads is not recommended in certian guns. I know I am not supposed to use it in my new Keltec P11, but it is OK to use in my Rugar LCR. As for which is the "latest and greatest" on the market, that would be interesting information to have as I would like to see what the people that have used it think.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the heavier 9mm bullets won't expand when fired from a 3'' barrel, velocity is to slow. There are some lighter, 80ish gr., loads that boast up to 1700 something fps from a 5'' barrel, and I think around 1100fps from a 3''. Keep this in mind if you have a 3'' carry gun.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a modern, quality made pistol you should be able to shoot +P for defense in it. If it's too fragile to be used with +P then I wouldn't consider it a viable cary gun.

For 9mm I use two carry loads. Speer Lawman 115+P+ Gold Dots and Winchester SXT 127gr+P+. Both are highly regarded. The Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P is a good load too.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the best 9mm rounds, that's fairly available commercially, is Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP +P. Speer Item No. 53617. Pretty hot (1200 fps from service pistol), very accurate, quality hollow point that expands and holds together in tests.

Also, Cor-Bon's 115 gr 9mm+P DPX (= Barnes all copper hollowpoint) is a VERY interesting development. Exciting ballistics results. Expansion, barrier penetration, accuracy.

For top accuracy and penetration, with less emphasis on expansion, I love Hornady XTP bullets launched at high 9mm+P velocities -- 1200+ fps (124 gr) or 1300+ fps (115 gr). Hornady factory loads are not hot enough. The XTP wants velocity! I'm not a handloader, but Black Hills Ammunition makes great factory +P 115 gr and 124 gr loads with the XTP and the proper vigor. They group like match ammo in my pistols, but good luck finding any Black Hills JHP ammo anywhere in the past year or two. Occasionally see it at Cabela's out of state.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not familiar with Double Tap Ammo, but I think they have a line of Gold Dot +P loads that are hot stuff too.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found everything I wanted at AlamoAmmo.com. Some were pricey, but they seem to have anything you want in stock, including 380.

BTW...Academy in S. Tulsa had 380 yesterday too. Monarch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom