9mm or 45?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im bored so why not...

I choose 9mm pistols.

I think 45 is better at killing "things" so if all guns were single shot then 45acp>9mm (leaving other cartridges out of this). You can talk about temporary wound channels and bullet tech all you want but you will not convince me the 9mm is a better killer than a 45acp. Much like I probably couldn't convince you that a .308 is more deadly than .50bmg..."but shot placement...boodee hoo hooo" please spare me.

I like the theory that the only use of a pistol is to fight your way back to a rifle. In which case I could see the extra capacity as being handy. And even though I believe the 45acp is more deadly...the 9mm aint exactly a joke.

Also for rapid fire competition like 3 gun and what not where speedy follow up shots are needed the 9mm is victorious. The muzzle flip on my CZ 75Bs is nothing compared to a .45 1911.

I also like 9mm because I have small woman hands and the grip tends to be slimmer on double stack guns.

NOW these type of discussions usually turn into a 1911 vs the world and that's fine. The 1911 is an excellent gun...aesthetically pleasing, great triggers, big hunks of fantastic steel. The capacity just kills it for me and if I were a 45 guy I would replace at least one of my 1911s with an FNX...twice the capacity and a pretty stinkin nice pistol.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im bored so why not...

I think 45 is better at killing "things" so if all guns were single shot then 45acp>9mm (leaving other cartridges out of this). You can talk about temporary wound channels and bullet tech all you want but you will not convince me the 9mm is a better killer than a 45acp. Much like I probably couldn't convince you that a .308 is more deadly than .50bmg..."but shot placement...boodee hoo hooo" please spare me.

pretty funny, hooah.jpg

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best is whatever's free when it's for fun, and whatever's loaded when it's not. Both poke holes, neither tickle. I'm sure I'd quit what I was doing if I was on the wrong end of either. Hell, I might even say I'm Sorry.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
762x54R milsurp. Get the bad guys in a line and take out 10 at once. And yes Mosins come in pistol form.... aka the Obrez

And at close range you could even set the first guy in line on fire....

Last edited by a moderator:

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm
+flat shooting
+higher capacity
+adequate wounding potential
+cheap
+guns chambered in 9mm are cheaper/smaller than .45
-higher pressure round than .45, so more wear on pistol
-"snappier" perceived recoil, see above
-less permanent cavity, offers less muzzle energy than .45 at +P loads
-if you like ergonomics of 1911, 9mm not best choice in that platform

.45 acp
+lower pressure bullet in heavier-built guns mean they last forever
+offers almost as much muzzle energy as 10mm auto or .357 sig (with some overlap) in +P loads, while still being manageable recoil and roughly 50% less chamber pressure
+lower pressure, heavier bullets, high bore-axis (1911 only), and heavier designs of .45 make recoil more of a "push", with often less visible muzzle rise
+if you're a 1911 fan (I don't own one, but the most accurate and effective/quick follow up shots I've ever made came from a Springfield GI I shot once), the .45 acp is the best and most proven caliber for this platform
-more expensive
-lower capacity guns despite larger frame size (especially in newer polymer service pistols)
-not as flat shooting at 100 yards
-sometimes inferior or only marginally different terminal ballistics (actual penetration and cavitation) to 9mm or other calibers, despite its advocates

Both rounds have almost EXACTLY the same lethality. In fact, most handguns all have similar lethality till you step up to .357 magnum or 10mm auto. You'll bleed out just as easily from any gunshot, and a CNS hit from any caliber is just as incapacitating for the most part as well.

I'm trying to sh**post less. I guess I'd start by making a serious reply to a 9mm vs .45 thread

Latest posts

Top Bottom