Are Wilson 45's worth the price tag ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are I have Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown they are all good. Imo Ed Brown is the best there is. However for the money it's hard to beat Dan Wesson and Les Baer.
You bring up a good point. Personally, I put Baers up in the same league as Wilson, Nighthawk, etc, but Dan Wesson has upped the ante by building super nice gun at a fraction of the price of a semi custom. Right now, before I spent semi custom money, I’d take a long hard look at the DW line up.

Dadof#4

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve owned at least a dozen Wilsons, and they’re really nice guns. Every one I’ve had has been bought second or third hand, and in my opinion, for the price of all new semi custom 1911’s, I’d rather send a base gun off to a custom builder and get one built to my specs.
I found a like new one for half of retail, thats the only reason I was asking

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm down to three stainless 5" 45ACP 1911's.....SA mil-Spec, Ruger SR1911 and a S & W 'E' Series and they all do what I expect of them which is hit the plates at 25 yds. consistently when I do my part.

The funds are available and I'm not saying that I wouldn't mind owing a $2000.00++ 1911 to like a Alchemy, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk etc but I honestly don't feel that I'd hit the plates more often or enjoy myself any more when I go to the range with one of the high dollar 1911's than I do with the three I currently own.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm down to three stainless 5" 45ACP 1911's.....SA mil-Spec, Ruger SR1911 and a S & W 'E' Series and they all do what I expect of them which is hit the plates at 25 yds. consistently when I do my part.

The funds are available and I'm not saying that I wouldn't mind owing a $2000.00++ 1911 to like a Alchemy, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk etc but I honestly don't feel that I'd hit the plates more often or enjoy myself any more when I go to the range with one of the high dollar 1911's than I do with the three I currently own.
A Chevy or Ford will usually get you down the road the same way a Ferrari or Lamborghini will. Just depends where you want to put your money.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Tell you what I’ll do if you’re interested. When I bring your Encore back, I’ll bring you my Baer TRS for you to play with, and you can judge for yourself. :thumb:

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wilson Combat has a prestigious history of manufacturing excellent firearms. They mill their components out of solid tool steel and/or stainless steel stock and don’t use MIM Processes to create their components. Their trigger work out of the box on 1911s is amazing. I certainly won’t criticize a man for living within his means when choosing his equipment, but it’s good (in my opinion) that there still remains a niche for real craftsman to use use their skills…..Nighthawk, Yost and others included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom