Are Wilson 45's worth the price tag ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on where you are in life.
A young guy working at a $20 hr job. Forget it.
A doctor or lawyer pulling in $500K, Go for it, it's chump change!
My $450 Philippine special will do anything I would ever want it to do. Not Armscor, the other company.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell you what I’ll do if you’re interested. When I bring your Encore back, I’ll bring you my Baer TRS for you to play with, and you can judge for yourself. :thumb:
I really appreciate the offer but I'll pass on the loan I'm afraid that the Baer might spoil me and then I'd have to try and convince mama that I really, really need to go out and purchase another 1911. :)

Don't feel rushed on returning the Encore, the Okla. and Tex. season is just getting started plus you've still got a hog or two to bust with a handgun.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never owned...or even fired, I don't think...a Wilson Combat pistol. That's unfortunate for me, I guess. I've owned two Baers...both Thunder Ranch models, and an Ed Brown CQB. Both Baers were problematic. The Brown just didn't do anything for me.

Far and away the best 1911 I've ever owned was an early Springfield Professional I was able to get shortly after the FBI adopted them. Stupidly, I sold it. But, I picked up another one a few years ago (in 9mm) and I love it, too.

Running close seconds would be my Colt Special Combat Gov't (Carry Model) and an early Kimber Warrior. Still have the Colt but gave the Warrior to my son.

A nicely made, custom 1911...from any maker...feels unlike any other handgun, in my opinion. Something about them just feels perfectly right.
My favorite 1911 is a Stainless Steel Colt Series 70 that was reproduced by Colt (I can’t remember what year) which was reworked by Karl Lippard. It has several hidden features that make it unique including an 85,000 PSI Chambered Barrel, redesigned trigger group, and slide/recoil spring modification that redirects recoil shock and stress away from the barrel bushing and onto the inside shoulder of the barrel bushing housing (I don’t know what to call this part of the slide). The pistol was redesigned to accommodate P+ ammunition even though I don’t have any…..LOL.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WC has used MIM parts in the past on their guns. I don't know if they still do or not because the wording on their website leaves room for some interpretation:

We only use 100% American-produced components in our custom firearms and refuse to use imported MIM or cast parts in our 1911’s.

Does that statement mean they don't use "imported MIM" parts or did someone leave out the "," between imported and MIM? It makes a difference in meaning. WC made their own MIM parts for some time, I believe.

There's nothing wrong with MIM parts when done correctly. There's nothing wrong with all forged or machined, either. It just makes for a more expensive product, and that's OK.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The question might be better put this way:

”Are WC’s worth it to YOU?”

My answer would be no. I’d rather not have so much money tied up in a single firearm when I could have a perfectly good 1911 for considerably less.
Great way to put it. Everything I have touched of Wilson combat is most excellent, however at that price point you have a lot of choices that don’t cost as much. If you have the disposable income and want to own a Wilson, then buy one. You won’t be disappointed.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Granted I've never owned a high $$$ 1911 but of the several that have come and gone through the years I've never found one that didn't like my load of 5.2 grs. of W231 under a 230 gr. jacketed (not plated) bullet with just about any LPP......maybe I've just been lucky.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I worked at the gun range EVERY single night I worked I ran some ammo through that the Wilson they had on the rental rack -- full sized CQB IIRC -- and I always said I was gonna buy one but at the time I had a Colt Gold Cup that ... Sigh ... I let Grumpy trade off for something else. Which I will regret to my dying day. 😭😭😭

Maybe it's time for me to replace my Colt ... 🤷🤷

That's the long way of saying OMG YES!! 😁

😲😲 JHFC! I should have bought that gun back in the day! They want over $4k for one now! 🤐🤐 Back in the day they MSRPed for $999! 😭😭

Man oh man ... Lol I REALLY am old! 🤐😬😬

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked at the gun range EVERY single night I worked I ran some ammo through that the Wilson they had on the rental rack -- full sized CQB IIRC -- and I always said I was gonna buy one but at the time I had a Colt Gold Cup that ... Sigh ... I let Grumpy trade off for something else. Which I will regret to my dying day. 😭😭😭

Maybe it's time for me to replace my Colt ... 🤷🤷

That's the long way of saying OMG YES!! 😁

😲😲 JHFC! I should have bought that gun back in the day! They want over $4k for one now! 🤐🤐 Back in the day they MSRPed for $999! 😭😭

Man oh man ... Lol I REALLY am old! 🤐😬😬

I remember that Gold Cup! It be worth ALOT more today! At least you got to shoot it! I’d be pissed too!

Latest posts

Top Bottom