A Couple Of Old Timepieces

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first one was my Grandfathers pocket watch he carried in the early 1900s. My father had the little grandfather clock thing made to display it in. The second one is a stopwatch that my father used when flying 35 missions on a B17 as a bombardier in 1944 over Europe. The stopwatch still works and I still use it occasionally.

Attachments

• IMG_7362 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7362 (Large).JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7361 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7361 (Large).JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7363 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7363 (Large).JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 0

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the Elgin. There is no crystal on it. I don't know if it is supposed to have one on it because it has that cover. I don't think the cover would close if there was a crystal. Did they make watches back then with no crystals? The cover was removed to display it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
About the Elgin. There is no crystal on it. I don't know if it is supposed to have one on it because it has that cover. I don't think the cover would close if there was a crystal. Did they make watches back then with no crystals? The cover was removed to display it.
Blind people?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is supposed to have a crystal. They are called 'Hunter' style cases, and use a low profile crystal. You can measure the inside lip diameter and order a replacement. It's best to order the size you measure, and usually 1 step larger. Some of these will glue in, and others will be compression fit, in which case you will want to use the larger size.

https://www.esslinger.com/gs-watch-crystal-hc-hunting-case/

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool. I have several pocket watches that have been passed down over the years and a very kind person worked on a few that were salvageable and got them running like a champ. I love carrying them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom