A ??? for the cocked & locked aficionados...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1911 mag is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want a flush fit mag then get 7 round mags. If 7 rounds in the mag doesn't do it for you then get a Tripp Cobra or a Wilson ETM 8 round mag. I prefer the Tripp 8 rounder over the Wilson ETM.

So the Wilson 47D 8 rounders won't fit flush on a closed slide but a Wilson 47 7 round mag and the Wilson ETM 8 rounders will? :scratch:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED, it's been awhile but I think I read that the 47d's and the ETMs were the same exact mag except that the ETMs were held to closer manufacturing tolerances.

Here are some pics of a 47D 8 rounder in my SA TRP. It does have a small mag well, but you can see what they will fit like. Also I think you can get a shorter base pad for them.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GED, it's been awhile but I think I read that the 47d's and the ETMs were the same exact mag except that the ETMs were held to closer manufacturing tolerances.

Here are some pics of a 47D 8 rounder in my SA TRP. It does have a small mag well, but you can see what they will fit like. Also I think you can get a shorter base pad for them.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Nice pics buddy. :thumb:

So can you seat your 8 round mags easily on a closed slide? Or do they require a good solid SLAM! with the butt of your hand to seat 'em? :anyone:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice pics buddy. :thumb:

So can you seat your 8 round mags easily on a closed slide? Or do they require a good solid SLAM! with the butt of your hand to seat 'em? :anyone:

They are pretty stiff, so a slam is in order if loaded with 8 rounds. If it didn't have the mag well it wouldn't be so bad. If loaded with 7 it's a piece of cake. It appears that I was incorrect on the ETMs, according to Midway's site they were designed from the ground up as an 8 rounder. But I see a lot of 47Ds in comps. They are solid mags. Midway runs them on a pretty good sale from time to time.

Edit to add: My mags are very new, so the springs will loosen up a bit with more use. Something to consider.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are pretty stiff, so a slam is in order if loaded with 8 rounds. If it didn't have the mag well it wouldn't be so bad. If loaded with 7 it's a piece of cake. It appears that I was incorrect on the ETMs, according to Midway's site they were designed from the ground up as an 8 rounder. But I see a lot of 47Ds in comps. They are solid mags. Midway runs them on a pretty good sale from time to time.

I wonder if the 7 rounders are just as stiff to seat?

If I bought 8 rounders, sounds like I would be better off loading them with only 7 rounds anyway. :ugh2:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the 7 rounders are just as stiff to seat?

If I bought 8 rounders, sounds like I would be better off loading them with only 7 rounds anyway. :ugh2:

7 rounders? Probably so based on MB's and LDP's posts. When you get the gun, if you can get to Norman one weekend we can go to Tri-City and you can try mine out in your gun if you want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom