New (to me) Colt's Combat Commander

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. It has just enough wear that I won't feel bad carrying it, but not so much that it looks bad.

I noticed that the trigger, while crisp, seemed a bit heavy. This evening I checked and it averaged about 6#. I know that the sear spring has been replaced, so I may tweak it a bit when replacing the grip safety. I'd like to end up with a pull of around 4#, but no lighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brownells has a “light” sear spring that should be just what that Colt wants if you want to get that trigger pull right down to that range. I put one in a similar Colt Commander and got 4.0-4.15’ish on my trigger gauge. It was just the ticket.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Careful on the sear springs for a "trigger job"... just make sure you don't have hammer follow.

True. Be careful if you go to bending; that's why I mentioned the light spring from Brownells. But hey, just be careful no matter what.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Careful on the sear springs for a "trigger job"... just make sure you don't have hammer follow.

I found a good article on Brownell's which goes into detail on spring adjustment. I may go ahead and buy the "light" spring and tweak the one that's already installed. I still have the original if all else fails.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got the WC drop-in beavertail installed today. Took a bit more fitting than expected, but it looks and feels great. The previous owner included the stock trigger, and on a whim I tried it out while installing the grip safety. Made a huge difference. Actually had better reset and less pre-travel, and ended up with a really nice 4.5# break after some judicious tweaking of the sear spring.

Thanks for the recommendations on the WC grip safety. Now I just need to stock up on WC mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom