A good police/fire scanner??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I did some reading and found that OKCPD uses the trunked system that is impossible to access with any scanner on the market but they also use many other frequencies around the county to get coverage in those areas so a regular scanner should pick up that stuff. I really don't know what all is possible to hear but using my phone app, which basically just listens to other people's "host" scanners, I've heard OKCPD, OHP, OKCFD and several others so they must still be operating on normal frequencies sometimes.

It's not the frequencies - it's the protocol used to change the voice into digital form. They use frequencies in the same band as other agencies. OCPD is carried on the state trunked radio system and can be heard there with available scanners, same as OHP. You've already figured out the easiest way to hear OCFD.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not the frequencies - it's the protocol used to change the voice into digital form. They use frequencies in the same band as other agencies. OCPD is carried on the state trunked radio system and can be heard there with available scanners, same as OHP. You've already figured out the easiest way to hear OCFD.

Ok thanks, I gotta admit I didn't grasp everything I read on it so I appreciate the clarification.

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Uniden and it worked great, but now everything has gone digital TPD and local ones are mostly encripted. I ended up with a cloned TPD radio that had the panic button disabled. I would check and see what they are using in your area and see if the scanners will cover it.

Need more info please send me a PM if you could. Thanks in advance

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since this thread has started, I've been looking at scanners again. Uniden Home Patrol-1 looks interesting. Can anyone tell me if it would be useful in the McClain and Grady county areas?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to update. I sent the Uniden to my FIL for his father's day gift. "He got it early." He called yesterday and said he loves it. I guess it works good in Beckham County. Thanks again for all of the input everybody.

Latest posts

Top Bottom