A good police/fire scanner??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To answer a couple of questions.
He lives in Elk City.
His old scanner used "what he calls" crystals. He could pick up everything out there.
It is in Beckham County.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Beckham county is still all analog / conventional. Shouldn't be an issue getting a good scanner for fairly cheap.

Here are a couple of the Uniden scanners that are tabletop that are just analog..

bc345crs
BCT15x

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To answer a couple of questions.
He lives in Elk City.
His old scanner used "what he calls" crystals. He could pick up everything out there.
It is in Beckham County.

Crystals are definitely old school but could still work. They're just more expensive than they used to be.

The sheriff, OHP, and Elk City PD are on conventional systems. Here's the link for frequency info in Beckham County from Radio Reference: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2132

Here's the link for OHP Troop H: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=584#cid-6422

My suggestions for a tabletop models w/links: Uniden_Bearcat_BC355N_,
Uniden_Bearcat_BC345CRS_,
Uniden_Bearcat_BCT15X_

The first two are closest to what your FIL is used to and the last one, BCT-15X, can be programmed from the front panel or with a computer/software. It has a learning curve that your FIL may not have the patience for. The 345CRS may be a good match for him since it can be ordered pre-programmed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Ponca City, they have gone pretty much 90% cell phone.

Every officer I see going down the road has one stuck their ear without a seat belt on. Our scanner only picks up the occasional radio communication when they are out of the car and chasing somebody on foot.
Picks up the fire Department well. We have a Bearcat mobile. Most of the times we use it to monitor the storm spotters that are out an about when bad weather rolls in.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a scanner, my sister laughs and says that scanner chatter puts me to sleep like a lullaby LOL. After so many years of being involved in fire/police/EMS she's probably right. I've been using the app on my phone but it kills my battery too fast. It'll be sad when you can't pick up scanner chatter.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FIL and I had desk top Radio Shack for years. He used to listen to neighbors cordless phones years ago. Now, I have a used portable Uniden that I never use.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crystals are definitely old school but could still work. They're just more expensive than they used to be.

The sheriff, OHP, and Elk City PD are on conventional systems. Here's the link for frequency info in Beckham County from Radio Reference: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2132

Here's the link for OHP Troop H: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=584#cid-6422

My suggestions for a tabletop models w/links: Uniden_Bearcat_BC355N_,
Uniden_Bearcat_BC345CRS_,
Uniden_Bearcat_BCT15X_

The first two are closest to what your FIL is used to and the last one, BCT-15X, can be programmed from the front panel or with a computer/software. It has a learning curve that your FIL may not have the patience for. The 345CRS may be a good match for him since it can be ordered pre-programmed.

Thanks. I bought him a Uniden Bearcat BC355N yesterday. It looks like it is easy to use and close to what he had.

Latest posts

Top Bottom