A Gun Control Letter from Tom Coburn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This should clear things up!

Thank you for taking the time to write me to express your opinion and concerns about the various gun control proposals. I am encouraged so many Oklahomans are making their voices heard. I have received an overwhelming number of letters, and in order to respond in a timely manner, I am writing a response that encompasses my entire position. If you have additional questions or concerns, please write me again.
I want to be clear: I remain committed to defending and protecting our Constitution; namely the Second Amendment. I have long protected the rights of law-abiding citizens to own guns. I am opposed to a ban on assault rifles and I oppose limiting magazines. I will not vote for any bill that limits the gun rights of law abiding citizens. While I support a debate in the Senate on gun related issues—including reaffirming these rights and forcing gun-control advocates to have their votes on record and be held accountable for their votes—I will not only support, but lead a filibuster to prevent the passage of any bill that limits the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.
The news reports are correct that I have been involved in discussions to write legislation improving the existing background checks to enable private citizens to check a database and ensure the person they seek to sell their gun to is legally allowed to own a firearm. I believe it is good public policy to make sure that those who are mentally-ill or a felon (both are already prohibited from owning a gun), do not have access to a weapon. However, I oppose record keeping and will not agree to legislation that expands record keeping to private sales.
The concern I am hearing over and over is not just about people maintaining their right to own firearms—it is a concern about how to preserve liberty. When our Constitution was adopted, we had just won a war fought largely by Minute Men and localized, or unofficial, militias (Sons of Liberty, etc). The first shots fired at Concord were, in part, to preserve a local supply of firearms that the British sought to confiscate. Our founders believed very strongly that the individual right to bear arms would preserve the independence and freedom won in 1781, just as they had enabled our founders to win the revolutionary war. They feared tyranny and centralized power—which is why our Constitution was established. In addition to the checks created by balancing power between a legislature and executive—and checked by a judiciary—the Bill of Rights sought to limit the federal government and clearly stated that those powers not enumerated in the Constitution and delegated to the federal government would remain with the states and the people (the 9th and 10th Amendments).
Yet, our federal government regularly legislates on matters that belong to the states and the people. Our freedoms are being gradually encroached and choked by ever-increasing regulations, laws, agencies, and overspending. This concerns me greatly and I fight daily to rein in the size, scope and spending of our federal government. I believe the greatest threat to our Republic is apathy as our overindulgent federal government, through indebtedness, spends the money of future generations. James Madison, the architect of our Constitution, said something similar in 1788 in a speech in Virginia when he said, “Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
I am aware of this and I work to push back on all attacks to our Constitution, including those to our Second Amendment. Congress must be careful not to legislate in a way that makes criminals out of law-abiding, gun-owning citizens.
Thank you for being involved and allowing me these last eight years to fight to protect our Constitution. I daily think about the sacrifices of past generations and I am grateful. In these last four years, as I finish out my second term, I remain committed to protecting your Second Amendment rights and working to limit our federal government and reduce federal spending.

Sincerely,
Tom A. Coburn, M.D.
United States Senator

TC: lcp

WHS

New to the site!
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
This letter is a lot better than the one I received from Mr. Coburn just a couple weeks ago. I'd say the pressure of our 2nd Amendment Groups (of which I am a member) is paying off at this time. We certainly do NOT want the Federal government proposing that the right to bear arms refers to the National Guard!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"The news reports are correct that I have been involved in discussions to write legislation improving the existing background checks to enable private citizens to check a database and ensure the person they seek to sell their gun to is legally allowed to own a firearm. I believe it is good public policy to make sure that those who are mentally-ill or a felon (both are already prohibited from owning a gun), do not have access to a weapon. However, I oppose record keeping and will not agree to legislation that expands record keeping to private sales."

I want to know if his statement about "enabling" is MANDATORY for private sales.

michaelnc4444

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got this same letter and I got it the day before he voted to allow the gun ban bills to be voted on... I wrote him again in response to this letter and his following vote.

Here is what I sent him.

Senator,

You say below that you "remain committed to defending and protecting our Constitution; namely the Second Amendment." Yet, just today, you voted YES to move forward and discuss the gun control bills. Your vote of YES is a direct contradiction to your statement I highlighted. Defending the Constitution would mean pushing all of the rhetoric aside and standing firm on the fact that the US Government has not right, place or power to even discuss the citizenry's natural rights. Please explain how you could possibly feel otherwise. Again, I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Different deal then. They had the votes then. They don't have them now, and I think most of the GOP knows it.

I hope you're right, it just doesn't seem worth the gamble for 2A'ers. The way I see it, there are only 2 possible outcomes either it fails and we keep the status quo, or it passes and we see further degradation to the 2A. History has shown, our rights (especially this one) rarely get expanded. I hope I'm wrong, but I tend to think not

Latest posts

Top Bottom