a Quest for the perfect Mai Tai recipe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you will find this is what you are looking for. This originally came from the Shangrila Resort on Grand lake many years ago. It is very smooth.

Gallon jugs of this have been used on many trips down the Illinois River back in the good old days without incident, best I can remember.

The Brands of the ingredient used are very important, especially the Orange juice but more importantly the Pineapple Juice, using anything other than Del-Monty pineapple juice will not be worth making. I made that mistake only once.

This will make a very smooth drink, but is pretty potent. Depending on what you are doing, you can back off the Bacardi some and add more pineapple and orange juice. The last time I made it I could not find the Mr. & Mrs T's sweet and sour. If using another brand, I would half it and test for taste. I used something different and it was not as good, but can't remember the brand just now. Enjoy.

24oz Bacardi Light Rum
2oz Hiram Walker Grenidine
2oz Hiram Walker Orange Curiaco
2oz Hiram Walker Creme De Noyaux (Almond)
2oz Mr & Mrs T's Sweet and Sour Mix, if you can find it.
16oz Minute Made Orange Juice
32oz Del-Monty Pineapple Juice

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC, would numbers 13,14, and 15 be accurate descriptions of a Bullfrog and Mojo?

http://www.subicbaypi.com/subic_comment_off.htm

Those are SPOT ON. Oh the memories...

The other key to drinking them is you have to have a LBFM sitting on your lap.

I've been to PI twice, but the last time I was hitching a ride back from Gulf War 1.0 courtesy of the USN and their outstanding Marine chauffeur service. Our group of big gray cruise ships were the last ones to take port in Subic before we turned it back over.

saltydawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not try drinking something a little tougher? Like a pina colada...
Raz away!! But I don't think a pins Canada is tougher nor do I like coconut and to be sure I drink plenty of other stuff. However, the perfect whiskey doesn't take me to exotic places nor does the perfect beer I can find both in Ireland's green country sides. A Mai Tai conjures up thought of sandy beaches and island folk with the sounds of the sea down around St. Somewhere! If I want to slam shots, SIP 100 year aged blue agave tequilla or drink my home brew or imported I can do that from my patty -O and now I may be able to drink a Mai Tai with the recipe from a previous poster on the "Patty-O" also named "St. Somewhere" I believe we are trying the recipe thus weekend (that and a Mojo recipe) I think its a party!! But if you want to get together and drink with a sailor we can trade shots straight up or Chase 'em I'm up for it let's all meet at your house??

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has razzed you for drinking mai tais yet.

I probably would if i knew what it was... heard of it, but never tried it. No idea what was in it, 'till the recipe posted above.

But then, according to this forum, if you disagree with someone, you're "butthurt".

R-tards all over...

saltydawg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has razzed you for drinking mai tais yet.
Oh fret not, there has been some pm comments but mostly by people who have shared bottles of Irish whiskey with me. The quest is more to cure boredom and because I like rum (Yo Ho) and the various combinations of runs I set out on a quest! That and I like the mind set of a Mai Tai drink always makes you think of the Islands. Because no matter where you are in the tropics they always know how to make a Mai Tai and if it taste bad have two more and then who cares! Mai Tai's relate to tropics. Yep there will be Mai Tai's on the Patty-O this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom