? about dead lifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started doing dead lifts about a month ago. To help strengthen my back. Wondering what a respectable wt. goal would be for a 56 year old man. Have
gone slow and up to a single 250 pound pull. So far. Thanks and regards.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
is that without bending ur back at all? Ur lifting with just ur legs right? How much do you weight? As long as you're doing it correctly That's probably pretty good

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what your goals are. 3 sets of 10 reps with the most you can lift with proper form is good. If looking for power do 6 sets of 4 to 6 reps, while maintaing proper form. Glad to see you're doing some strength training at 56 years old!!!

Maybe someone with personal training experience can edit my post.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad you are doing some strength training. The dead lift is a great workout and is one of the best all over body workouts you can do that strenghens more that just the back. It is all about form and tecnique to reduce the chance of injury and to do the most weight. I would be more than happy to send you my personal workout and if you live close I can help you with your form. I have been a powerlifting coach (on the side from my real job) for about 8 years and have taken high school lifters to state every year (they must qualify). I also "was" (that was hard to say) a top 100 dead lifter in the United States in 2006 (65th) and also in 2007 (80th). Not trying to brag at all just telling of my expierence.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everybody. Preacherman that would be great. My back has gotten stiffer and stiffer over the years. I saw an you tube of an 73 yo man. Who started dead lifts to recover from a back injury. I think he ended up setting a state record. In his age and weight bracket. So it gives me hope. My back is much better after a month of dead lifts. And I feel better overall.
Thanks again!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You probably know this already, but I'll post the caution anyway.
As we get older, the muscles will strengthen faster in training than the connective tissue can adapt, so many people injure themselves just when they are really going great guns at increasing the weight. Our natural competitive nature can get us in trouble. Voice of experience.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am glad you are doing some strength training. The dead lift is a great workout and is one of the best all over body workouts you can do that strenghens more that just the back. It is all about form and tecnique to reduce the chance of injury and to do the most weight. I would be more than happy to send you my personal workout and if you live close I can help you with your form. I have been a powerlifting coach (on the side from my real job) for about 8 years and have taken high school lifters to state every year (they must qualify). I also "was" (that was hard to say) a top 100 dead lifter in the United States in 2006 (65th) and also in 2007 (80th). Not trying to brag at all just telling of my expierence.

Listen to Preacherman, he knows dead lifts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom