Above the law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should any gov. officials or employees have immunity from prosecution?

• Yes

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 91.0%

• Total voters

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should any gov. officials or employees have immunity from prosecution for criminal acts?

Ex-Oklahoma senator Leftwich appeals ruling to state Supreme Court
By Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY — A former state senator charged with bribery is asking the Oklahoma Supreme Court to review a lower court's refusal to dismiss the felony charge.

Former Sen. Debbe Leftwich of Oklahoma City and current state Rep. Randy Terrill of Moore each face bribery charges. Terrill is accused of offering Leftwich an $80,000-a-year job at the state Medical Examiner's Office in exchange for her not seeking re-election so someone else could run.

They have pleaded not guilty.

The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals has rejected arguments by Leftwich that her service in the Legislature exempted her from prosecution for alleged wrongdoing in the performance of her official duties. She now wants the Supreme Court to take up the issue.

Prosecutors said acts peripheral to a lawmaker's work are not exempt from prosecution.

By Associated Press

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/arti...ticleid=20110629_336_0_OKLAHO877491&rss_lnk=1

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'm inclined to vote "no", there may be certain aspects of this issue that I do not understand and it may not be a simplified black/white issue.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think certain laws dont apply to some gov officials. Speed limits for example. Others do, I doubt even Obama would get away with Murder, depending upon how you define it.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think certain laws dont apply to some gov officials. Speed limits for example. Others do, I doubt even Obama would get away with Murder, depending upon how you define it.

Speed limits should apply to everyone unless they are running code, with at least lights.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, elected or not, no one is above the law. Were all Americans and should be held accountable for our actions. No more no less.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HELL NO!!!!

In my not so humble opinion, they should be held to higher standards. If they break the law they should receive a more sever punishment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom