Account of the Lady attacked at Quail Springs Mall.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife got this Email ( below) just the other day, It is reported to be from the lady that was Attacked at Quail Springs Mall.

As you read this note that she had NO clue that she was prey!! till the attack happened. A little bit of AWARENESS!!!!!!! could have changed this quite a bit..( the prey letting the wolf know the gig was up) and having some way to defend her self, well that might have helped as well... :ooh2:

Oh and just so ya know the bad guy did not " appear out of now where"!! he walked up to her on his two hind legs!!!!

DISCUS..

To All of My Friends,

I am writing you this in bed. I am resting and recovering right now.
I am sore and hurting all over. Yesterday I was attacked by a black male at 11:45 am in the front parking lot of our local mall. Apparently, from what the police know from the mall security footage, the man selected me inside the mall and followed me out to my SUV.

I did not know he was following me. I got into my vehicle and was about to start the engine when out of nowhere a man jumped on top of me and closed the car door. He put his hands over my mouth and told me not to scream and pushed me down on the passenger seat. Strangely, the first though that went through my mind was, "You always think that this won't happen to you!" But it was happening to me. Everything slowed down and seemed to be going in slow motion. For some reason I kept thinking, "I'm not going to die, I'm going to make it through this.

The teachings I had learned long ago about how to defend yourself in this type of situation went rushing through my mind. " Scream, even if he says don't , attract attention, make as much noise as possible. If you are in a vehicle with him try to escape if you can, don't let him take you away.". I knew that if he was able to drive away with me from the mall parking lot, my chance of surviving this ordeal would go down significantly. For a brief moment, I had a vision of him driving out of the mall parking lot. How long would if be before anyone knew I was missing. No one knew I was at the mall today. I hadn't seen many people in the parking lot. I must scream, I must get out of my vehicle. But I was trapped with his heavy weight bearing down on my body. I was able to hit the alarm button on my keychain, it sounded briefly, but he quickly turned it off. I did scream but no one could hear me because the windows and doors were all closed. I was starting to worry now. I kept struggling with him. He did not ask me for my money or jewelry. I would have gladly given it to him if he had asked! I continued to scream and struggle with the
man. I could not see his face. He was very rough and forceful with me, grabbing my long hair and pulling it very hard telling me the whole while to stop screaming. I struggled as hard as I could. I had the feeling that he planned on leaving with me in the car. I must get out of this car! Time and time again I grabbed the handle on the passenger side door and tried to open it, It was locked and I couldn't reach the unlock button. Every time I tried to reach for the door he pulled me back roughly. If I could just get the door open even a little maybe someone could hear my screams. His hand was over my mouth. I managed somehow to hit the car alarm on the keychain again. It went off loudly and I screamed as much as I was able. When I hit the alarm button I also managed to hit the automatic hatch door to my Navigator. I don't know if I did this instinctually or by
accident. The hatch raised up and people were able to hear me screaming. I tried for the left door again, but he stopped me again. He clawed my ear and my neck with his nails. He told me if I didn't shut up he had a gun and he was going to kill me! At this point I began to wonder if I was going to make it through this. I prayed quietly that God would spare my life for the sake of my family. Finally, he pulled my face back and said, "Where's the money *****! Give me the jewelry." I took my largest and most expensive piece of jewelry-my 2 carat diamond
wedding ring and threw it to him. While he was looking at the ring I threw my Coach purse at him. He was distracted momentarily. I reached for the passenger door and unlocked it .

I was escaping when he grabbed hold of my left foot; I fell forward out of the car and skinned up both of my knees although I did not know it at the time. I didn't feel any pain from my twisted ankle either where he had grabbed hold of me. I was afraid he might try to shoot at me because I had seen his face when he was demanding the jewelry and money. I crept between the line of cars trying to hide from him praying he wouldn't shoot me because I was now able to identify him. I was trying to get back to the mall entrance. I heard him start my car and leave. I hoped he wasn't coming after me! As he was leaving the parking lot he hit another vehicle. He also drove off with the back hatch to the Navigator completely open!
I kept yelling in the parking lot, "please help me somebody please!!"I made it safely to the mall entrance and ran in to a nearby store-Gordon's Jewelers. I told the girl there what had happened and she called mall security. It seemed like forever, but they finally arrived. I told them what happened and they told me I would have to call 911 and report it to the Oklahoma City Police Department myself.!! I called 911 and told the operator what had happened. I was feeling quite weak and faint at this point so I finally told her I had to go. I think I just said, "please send someone out here!" Later that day, the police found my abandoned vehicle in a parking lot of an apartment complex. They saw him leave the vehicle and were tracking him by air when they lost sight of him. A few hours later a pawn shop in the Village area called the police and told them some people had just come in with a ring that matched the description of mine. The Village police moved in and apprehended all 3 people. The police brought the ring by later that day for me to id and yes, it was mine. They recovered my purse and most of its contents. The wedding ring from my set is still missing, but at least I have the engagement ring back. My wallet and checkbook are still missing as well as my cash. The Oklahoma City Police Department did a fabulous job and I am eternally grateful to them. I pray for their safety as I know they have a dangerous and very difficult job. I can't believe they caught my assailant and his 2 accomplices that very same day. Isn't that amazing? They found my car, purse and engagement ring. I am so thrilled to have them back. I think I am going to have to go in next week and identify my assailant from a line up. I'm sure I'll have to go to court and testify. I've had to close my checking account and some of my credit cards. I have to call my insurance company and have my car repaired. I also need to file for the lose of my wedding ring. My left ankle is horribly swollen and is throbbing. Behind my left ear is scratched, inflamed, and swollen. My knees are skinned and the left one has a large painful bruise forming around the knee cap area. I have a scratch on my neck from him that hurts and is starting to become infected I think. My jaw and neck are very sore from where he grabbed me to silence my screams. My whole body is sore from the struggle with him and I feel very tired, yet I cannot sleep. I no longer feel safe in my car or in public places. I took my son Trey to his basketball practice today, and I kept looking behind me. I'm scared all the time that someone might be behind me. When I close my car door or open it, I'm afraid someone will jump me again.

I share my story with you because you are my friends. The Oklahoma City Police Department told me "no woman should shop alone -ever! Always go in pairs or more. I never thought I would have to fight for my life yesterday. We all think it won't happen to us. We think we are
safe in broad daylight and in shopping malls. We aren't! And things aren't getting any better.....

With Love and Prayers for Your Safety,

Kathleen GriXXXX

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the big guy upstairs was looking for this lady. This goes to show that everyone should pay more attention to their surroundings. Not be paranoid, but every once in awhile take your eyes off the iphone and have a look around at the world. I'm very grateful that she is ok and is willing to share her story to help protect others.

OkieZombies

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After just finishing an ethnography of armed robbers by two criminologists victim selection generally comes down to a few things:

1) They pick people who look like they have money or jewelry
2) They pick people who look like they can't fight back
3) They pick people who seem oblivious to their surroundings.

I'm glad everything turned out okay.

One piece of advice my CCW instructor gave that I think everyone should think about.... don't walk around talking on your cell phone. Pay attention when you are walking in a parking lot. Lock your doors as soon as you get in your vehicle. If you have to make a phone call, make sure your doors are locked and your vehicle is started first....

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very moving story; the lady was lucky this time. I keep telling my wife to be aware of her surroundings at all times--and to keep her hand on her piece when walking alone no matter where she is. Maybe this incident will make others be more aware---at least for a while

Latest posts

Top Bottom