Adequacy of training for ccw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect I've taught as many SDA students as anyone in the state, and I've made a few observations that just might make everyone feel a bit better. First, there's a really significatnt percentage of people who take the class and never apply for a permit. Lots of reasons for that, but there's a lot of fall out between the class and application. The vast majority of those who apply, and get the permit, never carry. This is the guys who leave a pistol in the glove box, hope it never gets stolen, and haven't noticed that there will never be opportunity to "go get" that pistol when they need it. I would guess it's a single digit percentage of class-goers who actually WEAR a pistol in public. And generally, those are the guys who don't worry anyone.

Will

Well stated Will, by the way long time no see..

JB, I really wish you wouldn't say things like that!

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect I've taught as many SDA students as anyone in the state, and I've made a few observations that just might make everyone feel a bit better. First, there's a really significatnt percentage of people who take the class and never apply for a permit. Lots of reasons for that, but there's a lot of fall out between the class and application. The vast majority of those who apply, and get the permit, never carry. This is the guys who leave a pistol in the glove box, hope it never gets stolen, and haven't noticed that there will never be opportunity to "go get" that pistol when they need it. I would guess it's a single digit percentage of class-goers who actually WEAR a pistol in public. And generally, those are the guys who don't worry anyone.

Will

I believe this to be spot on.

I attended my SDA class with 3 people I know very well. It's been close to a year since the class and to date only 2 of our group is licensed, the other two haven't submitted applications.

jeremycknight

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people should get more training on there own. Even if you can shoot and handle your gun fine. When the time come to pull most people are not going to know what to do
Most people aren't going to carry there gun even when they get there ccw just because it's not comfortable to carry. It's not supposed to be comfortable.

jeremycknight

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I am more worried about the person who has maybe all the training but carries a gun on his hip, one in each pocket, one on his ankle. Who seems like there wanting someone to cross there path sideways and is ready to pull on everything. But that's me

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
I look at training as what's your life, your wifes life, your kids life worth? There is no amount of money going to relace them.

Training is what gives you those skills and those skills must be excercised.

I don't care if I have to sell plasma, mow the neighbors lawn, what ever, I'm getting all the training I can possibly get. Be a sheep or be a sheep dog. I am the best trained and equiped sheep dog I can be and will never be satisifed that I have enough training.

Proper training will change your life, change how you veiw the world around you, how you select your freinds and how you act and react in public.

Advanced Combat Pistol and Advanced Conceled Carry are 2 classes that need to be taken in that order and are experiences of a life time, unles you like being a victom. I refuse to be a victom and I refuse to allow my family to be victoms if I can help it.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I am more worried about the person who has maybe all the training but carries a gun on his hip, one in each pocket, one on his ankle. Who seems like there wanting someone to cross there path sideways and is ready to pull on everything. But that's me

People do this for a variety of reasons and none of the ones I know involve wanting to pull anything. The guys who train alot carry multiple guns because they shoot them and see them break in training. Guns break, odds are it'll happen in the middle of a fight, a second gun keeps you in the fight.

Some positions are easier to get to than others. Guns on your waist are difficult to get to while seatbelted in a car, an ankle gun is quick and easy. This is opposite of is true when you are standing up. If you are in an area of high carjackings an ankle gun and a gun on the belt make sense.

In the winter a Jframe in a coat pocket is a great combination. You can have your hands in you pocket gripping the gun if you are uneasy or in a bad situation. The Jframe however does not replace your primary gun it just becomes the primary in that instance.

As I've shown in the winter an easy case can be made for 3 guns: primary on the hip, ankle for in the car, and a Jframe in the coat pocket. Nowhere in that logic is wanting to shoot anyone.

jeremycknight

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand most people carry for that reason, but it's the ones who try to carry there whole collection on them for know practical reason I know because I've seen and they told me they hope something happens. That's the people I am worried about

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw an article where a state, I think it was Wisconsin, required people to take the NRA Person Protection Inside the Home course, to be eligible to take the CCW class.

I did not check the validity of this article.

The instructor held a 'women only' course and 50 attended. This course is 8 hours and cost around $125 to $150.

Training for beginning handgunners can be had for as little as $35/hour where stance, grip, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger squeeze and follow thru are taught. Along with practice drills. Also point shooting can be taught.

Regarding training cost, instructors in this area teach NRA Basic Pistol (8 hrs) for around $80, Personal Protetion Inside the Home (8 hrs) for around $125- $150, and NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home (either one or two day class) for $125-$150. All excellent material created by the NRA and a great value for the money.

rwillis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone who carries a gun needs more training. No, there should not be more requirements for a concealed carry license, there should be less.

+1

Will

thank GOD

Brother Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I conceal carry every chance I get, but it's always in the back of my mind that I or someone innocent may get shot by a twitchy/clumsy CCW holder. Worse, I worry that if the day comes where I may have to use my CCW, another twitchy CCW holder may confuse me as the criminal and shoot me.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is why I have taken more training at USSA, so I will know how to respond to threats as well as "twitchy CCW holders". MOST responsible gun owners get additional training, very few believe a CCW class is all the training they need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom