Bill introduced to allow teachers to carry in schools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We still were allowed to have them in locked vehicles in the 80's in Oklahoma. Not sure if every district was like that or not though.
I left California because that was no longer true out there. In 1973. The little town I'd lived in in Colorado was in the 3rd poorest county in the nation at the time, no job prospects at all, so no point in going back. Unless I wanted to work in a coal mine, with my dad. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE!! ;) Enlisted in the USAF instead. Saw a goodly chunk of the Southern portions of the USA, and a few foreign countries, as well. Actually drove through OKC in 1987, but didn't see anything worth stopping for. Uncle Sam sent me back here to get ready to retire in 1996, and I actually got to see OKC, and meet a lot of people. When I retired in late 1997, we stayed here. Was a joke going around back then: Q: What do you call a guy who makes $50K a year in Los Angeles? A: Homeless. Had two kids in Germany, and one here, and OKC wasn't looking too bad... :) Only real problem is that all my long guns were stolen in SC when we put our household goods in storage to go to Germany, and Uncle Sam did not give me replacement cost on them. So I did without firearms until the kids were mostly grown up. Something about needing diapers, and food, and furniture, and a place to stay...

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a great idea in theory. But most of the teachers I've seen in the few years i wouldn't want them to carry one normally.
So you're one of those I support 2A BUT crowd.
Thank GOD we live in a country where rights aren't given based on opinion or feelings.
Keep in mind if schools weren't gun free zones and teachers were not having their rights infringed; there wouldn't be a need for a law to allow them to exercise their GOD GIVEN RIGHT.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, I don’t disgree, but the same can be said for any CHL holders. No one is immune to being attacked by a group of rogue teens at the mall or WMart, or just walking out of McDonalds, so why shouldn’t your training suggestions be just as important to everyone with a permit or that carries under “constitutional carry”?

In my opinion, you’re underestimating teachers and school officials and way over estimating the vast majority of folks carrying a gun every day. Heck, I know several cops that couldn’t pass your suggested PT requirement and barely pass their yearly handgun qualification.
I do see what you're saying. But I have to say that while anyone could be attacked by a gang of rogue, say, chickens for example, a chicken farmer would be the most likely target. A teacher surrounded by kids is more likely to be accosted by kids than a guy that goes to the grocery store, goes home, eats at a restaurant, and is in bed by 10pm.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you're one of those I support 2A BUT crowd.
Thank GOD we live in a country where rights aren't given based on opinion or feelings.
Keep in mind if schools weren't gun free zones and teachers were not having their rights infringed; there wouldn't be a need for a law to allow them to exercise their GOD GIVEN RIGHT.
You sure about that?

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You sure about that?
Absolutely and willing to back it, are you?
I'm not talking some punk opinion on a keyboard or some AH in Washington; they only have the power we give them. If you don't feel as passionately about your rights that's on you but don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not talking some punk opinion on a keyboard or some AH in Washington; they only have the power we give them. If you don't feel as passionately about your rights that's on you but don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining.
HEAR HEAR...

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny that. I've been watching politicians in this country screw us over since I was 8 years old. Very nearly 60 years ago. Looking at the folks currently trying to deprive us of Constitutionally guaranteed rights by executive order is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling. If you're doing such a good job of fighting for our rights, why is this still happening? Talk about pissing on someone's leg.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny that. I've been watching politicians in this country screw us over since I was 8 years old. Very nearly 60 years ago. Looking at the folks currently trying to deprive us of Constitutionally guaranteed rights by executive order is not giving me a warm fuzzy feeling. If you're doing such a good job of fighting for our rights, why is this still happening? Talk about pissing on someone's leg.
Well that's probably because you've spent more time as you said "watching politician" and complaining and not enough time doing something about it. When I look around at the world I actually live in; its pretty great and my rights are still in place.

JuanGrande62221

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a few, actually. All it proves is that humans are no **** good. With maybe a few exceptions. In 1927, it was not illegal to have guns or dynamite in most places in the USA. Including schools. In my own experience, as late as 1972, guns and knives were allowed at the high school I attended in western Colorado. And not at the California high school I graduated from the following year.
In 1992, as a 5th grader in a gifted and talented class, we had to do a presentation and demonstration. I did mine over safety and function of firearms with an sks, 870, 1873 Winchester, Remington 700, and a Colt frontier scout. I got approval ahead of time and got my mom to bring them and take them when I was finished. Got an A+. Imagine a kid trying that today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom