After High School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What did you do after High School?

• 2 Year College

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4 Year College

Votes: 80 40.4%
  • Military

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Workforce

Votes: 38 19.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I began doing what I had always wanted to do, become a pulmonologist. Paid my way through a couple years of school for Pre-Med, fell asleep one night excited to continue my medical journey and woke up the next day and not a single strand of hair on my body wanted to be a doctor any more. Now I'm in IT doing stuff that nothing in college prepared me for.

Oh well, nothing wrong with a little extra education.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been, I was enrolled and sometimes attended class at Rose State in the OKC area. After the first year I was just to bored and burned out on school. I did a couple of odd jobs then enlisted in the Marine Corps. I stayed for 12yrs got out (due to not getting promoted and yes it was partially my fault). Now I am getting ready to retire from the National Guard and have a job I enjoy that does not require a college degree. Still debating going back to college but it is just not me.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Left HS for college under the hopes of med school. I got into AF ROTC a year in and hoped for a scholarship to med school. As my interest in flying went up, my GPA took a bit of a dive. The unrecoverable GPA (to med school standards) allowed me to branch into areas of study w/in my Biology major that weren't in line with the pre-med track w/o consequence, raising my interest and my GPA again. I got a slot as a navigator and now I fly airplanes for a living. I'm not going to lie, it doesn't suck :)

So: HS ==> College/ROTC ==> Military ==> ??? ==> Profit

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
started college right after high school, and I got married at 19, 6 months later I was in the Army. 25 years later I retired from the Navy, am still married, have a mortgage, a wife I love and a kid in college and I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do when I grow up.

all joking aside, do what makes you happy the most. one of the best things that you have going for you right now is that you are young. try things out if you don't like something that's fine, but at least give it a shot, that way you will know whether its for you or not.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
started college right after high school, and I got married at 19, 6 months later I was in the Army. 25 years later I retired from the Navy, am still married, have a mortgage, a wife I love and a kid in college and I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do when I grow up.

all joking aside, do what makes you happy the most. one of the best things that you have going for you right now is that you are young. try things out if you don't like something that's fine, but at least give it a shot, that way you will know whether its for you or not.

What did you think about the navy?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ten days after graduation, I was in basic training. After that I was hired by the FD. Worked numerous jobs on the side to make ends meet. Twenty eight years, three ex wives and four great kids later, I retired in 2007.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Joined the air force, spent 12 years in. Worked two jobs while I was in, pay is awful, but you get to travel. Found civil service job and then got a job in the private sector with a Major aeropsace company here in the city 9 years ago. I did a little college, got my degree paid for by the GI Bill and my private employers college learning program. As someone said earlier, you only need a degree if your job or specialty will require it. If you want to be a software engineer at my company, you need a degree. If you want to manage logistics, you don't need one.

Do whatever yanks your chain...even if it staring at feet all day. ;)

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to Arizona State University right out of high school on an academic scholarship to study Aerospace Engineering. Seven weeks in I got kicked out of my fraternity for partying too much, which I didn't know was possible in a fraternity. Five weeks later I got asked to leave school (or face charges) after me and a couple guys pushed this dudes Honda Civic into the deep end of a pool during a kegger. Had to call my Dad to come get me, and that was a loooong ride home.

Joined the Air Force as a computer programmer. Got my degree while in the AF. Retired after 21 years, currently doing software testing as a civilian.

Latest posts

Top Bottom