After High School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What did you do after High School?

• 2 Year College

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4 Year College

Votes: 80 40.4%
  • Military

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Workforce

Votes: 38 19.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Graduated 1964 with Big V looming over every eligible male. Spent one year in college at OU with a scholarship in Journalism. During that year, my major changed from Journalism to "Party," so with pretty low grades, I was "suspended" from OU. Went home and waited for the military to act. Eventually enlisted in the Army Security Agency (top secret stuff) and spent nearly 4 years of active duty. Married in December 1968 to my current lovely bride with no intent to stay in the service. The ASA's list of overseas sites was heavy on places where one's family couldn't go. With only a couple of months of service to go, the wife turned up pregnant. With the idea that my first duty was to provide for my family, college was never an option again.

I've worked agriculture, agri-business, trucking, management and who knows what else and at 67, I still say I don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I've been working for a government agency for the last 14+ years and am eligible to retire, but the wife is still working, so I am as well. We live in an RV, and when we finally both retire, we will travel and I will photograph a lot of this country's national and state parks, just as a start.

Advice? I strongly recommend something in the way of college, although I do agree that many that graduate don't work in their field of study, so choose wisely. Military is a good option if you want to retire in 20+ years with enough time to then follow up with a second career. Choose wisely on the service duty as well. My service in the Army Security Agency did not provide me with a trade, and to this day, I can't speak of what it was I did.

Choose a life partner carefully. Go into a relationship with the idea of commitment in mind. In fact, I advise young folks to be committed to the person you ask even before you ask the question. Go into that relationship with trust in mind as well. If you don't think you can trust your chosen partner, break off and keep looking.

Whatever you do, try to have fun doing it because otherwise your life can be long and miserable. One other thing is that relationships are much more important than things. People first.....ALWAYS!!!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to college right out of high school because that was expected. Thought I wanted to get an animal science degree and manage a ranch. Basically what I do today with no degree. I wasn't prepared for all the freedom that school out of state afforded me. Thrown out of college for partying and wild behavior and the fact I had classes I never went to. Worked in what I do today in a freelance capacity for several years. The wild side still around. I've gotten mad and quit more good jobs than most folks ever get the opportunity to get. Also did lots of other things besides ranch work. Worked some construction sold used cars drove a cow truck and a score of other jobs. Battled alcoholism and addiction got my stuff together finally and have settled down. My greatest advice would be to at least learn a trade elect hvac welding const equip operator something that no matter what you can find work. Also join the guard if not actual military wish I would've done that myself. If you choose college borrow as little as possible to do so. If it takes you 6+ years to get a bachelors with less debt good ! Find something that you can make a little money at and be happy joyous and free ! Male sure whatever it you choose it's because YOU want to do it not someone else. Most of the people I graduated with who I thought had their **** together when we got out of school are or where miserable. It was amazing how unhappy scores of them seemed at our 10 year reunion. And don't be afraid to travel or leave your hometown.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As several have said, I highly suggest finding a trade that you enjoy as a fallback in case everything else goes to hell. Carpentry, electrical, plumbing (yuck), masonry, as long as there are people they will need homes, places of business, and transportation. So if you really want to be a real estate mogul, go for it, but if you learn how build a home or fix a car, then you will always have a way make money while you learn how to be a mogul.

My brother in law was always in retail, has managed several major chains making $60+. Got fired for something incredibly stupid, now he makes $10 an hour as a teacher's aide. HE recently went back to school to get a teaching degree.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried the 4 year schools (2 of them), then got a degree at Okmulgee (HVAC) and have been working in the building automation world ever since. Id suggest to anyone looking for a career to look into a energy savings career.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
> < I was that close to joining the military, but went to work instead. I didn't have much of an inclination to go to college because everyone told me I should..... Anywho, did IT(unix/linux administration) at HP for 7+ years(took a couple of classes at a CA jr. college here and there during that time), and after the latest bubble burst(07) I pulled an Office Space move and went into construction(metal framing). Work wasn't consistent enough, so I found an SEO company that I now do IT management and SEO programming for(they are in CA and I work remotely from home here in Ok). It pays the bills, but I am getting a little tired of IT work(silly users and their silly problems). If I could do it all over again I think I would join the military, but that's hindsight for ya.

38Super

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went delayed enlistment in the Air Force. Spent five years on active duty with plans of going for 20 to 25 but go bored and got out.
Should have stayed in for the retirement and I would have been collecting that for the past 12 years and then got a job.

Would do it all again and have tried to turn my nephews in that direction. Am going up to Great Lakes the end of August to see him graduate.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Worked a couple years in construction and transportation.
Got a scholarship & went to OSU.
Worked in various positions/jobs/organizations since.
Have kept going back to school all my life.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did you think about the navy?

It was on of the best things I could have done, wasn't great all the time, but nothing ever is, and would do it again if I could. Just don't let them talk you into signing up as an undesignated striker in one of the apprenticeship programs.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up doing construction in the summer time so when I graduated HS I went full time, also tried to see how much beer I could drink. I suppose its worked out ok. Thirty plus years later and I have a cabinet shop with three employees, flip houses on the side and have very little debt.
If I had to do it over I would drink a lot less, probably join the service for at least four years and start seriously trying to accumulate real estate at a young age.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shipped out to USAF Basic Training two weeks after H.S. grad...traveled the world, met some amazing people (and some a$$holes), secured a 2 year and a 4 year degree, met my wife, started a family and went to war. Now, at the young age of 44, I've got a (mostly) guaranteed income, health benefits and a lot of good memories.

Like RETOKSQUID said, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom