After High School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What did you do after High School?

• 2 Year College

Votes: 17 8.6%
  • 4 Year College

Votes: 80 40.4%
  • Military

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Workforce

Votes: 38 19.2%
  • Other

Votes: 12 6.1%

• Total voters

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice to my daughter has been to take advantage of the free votech classes available to you in high-school, and learn a trade like welding or pipe fitting, then when you graduate high-school, you'll be able to get a good paying job and then you can pay for college with cash and goof around and figure out what you want to do, if you even want to go to college.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went right to a 4-year university on a full academic scholarship, participated in extracurricular activities and failed out in my first year after a 2nd-semester GPA of 1.62. My problem was listening to my "advisor" who didn't have a clue or give a shite what I wanted or what my interests were or whatever. In your first year or two, it's a cookie-cutter. They don't give crap if you pass or not. They get your money regardless.

I wasn't ready. I went because it was expected, not because I wanted to.

TR, I had a very similar experience. Graduated in 86, was supposed to ship out to Ft. Benning in August, but had strep throat and they delayed my ship date to Jan 87. That was great for me because I did a semester at a junior college and went in as a PFC. Went to OU in Fall of '87 and had about a 1.7 after my first semester...too much fraternity life and girl chasing. Got my crap together, joined ROTC and went to ROTC Advanced Camp in summer of '89. That Fall, I got offered a job working for some Japanese nationals which paid very well. I resigned from both ROTC and the Reserves. Had a blast for three years and blew every bit of money I made. Had some very hard times working crap jobs and going to school. Applied to law school against everyone's advice. Wasn't the best student, but got out a semester early and passed the Bar Exam my first attempt.

What I lacked in academic acumen, I more than made up for in business savvy. A fact that pisses off many of my former classmates.

Been, the fact is you are probably too young to know what you really want to do. I was dead sure I knew and ended up wasting a lot of time and spending a couple of years in near poverty.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone into the military for 2 years with the idea of learning a marketable skill (I was first in an infantry reserve unit, then a counter-intelligence reserve unit). I'd have learned to be an EMT or mechanic or something that translates into a civilian way to make money.

Then decide what you want to do. Go to college or go to vo-tech or whatever.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't really know what to do after HS. At the time I was thinking either college or the military. I ended up enrolling in OSU, right in my home town, because they offered me a half scholarship, my folks offered to pay the other half, and I could keep living with them, making it even cheaper. It was a pretty easy choice for a kid who didn't really know what he wanted to do anyway.

I started out taking general business classes (the official major for people who don't know what they want to do). I made good enough grades my first semester to qualify for the honors college, and decided to do it. I am very glad I did. I got much better professors and much more interesting, challenging, and relevant courses than I would have had otherwise. If you do end up going to a gubment college, I highly recommend going into the honors program.

I worked part time all through school to have money to spend on cars, guns, booze and whatnot. I partied a lot, and did a lot of dumb **** -- nothing with too many negative consequences thankfully. I went on to law school and became a lawyer. I now do mostly criminal defense.

Looking back, I am definitely glad I didn't hastily go into the military... my beliefs about government, foreign policy, etc. changed a lot between 18 and 25. I'd say going to college was a good use of my time. I learned a lot, even plenty of stuff I still use; I met some girls, including the one that I've now been with for over 6 years; I met a lot of my best friends; and had a lot of good times. But would I do it again of I could go back? I don't know. I would definitely do it a lot differently.

Back then I was used to a school environment, where all you had to do to succeed was not be a dumbass. I always did well in school without having to try very hard. I became somewhat lazy because of it. One thing I would do differently looking back is try to reach higher, challenge myself more, and not avoid things just because they are hard. I was also used to getting treated like I was special just because I was smart. I wasn't used to the idea that in the real world, nobody cares how smart you are -- the only thing they care about is how much value you can produce for them. I would have used my intelligence less just to amuse myself, and more to learn how to produce as much value as possible. I would also have tried to get some experience in the field I was interested in as early as possible. When finding a job, real world experience generally matters a lot more than what degrees and titles you have, or what your GPA was in school.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, where do I begin. I can tell you all kinds of things about life...especially my life...but you have to live your life.

Noncollege:
Some sort of skill...electrician. I have relatives in Southern California who have made a very good living just doing new wiring. Not remodeling.

With a skill, ask yourself if you can do it until you retire or until YOU want to quit. I use to think welding would yave been good but I see the toll it takes on a persons body and breathing the fumes...don't know anymore.

National Guard, especially the Air Guard or Air Force. Get a skill, get money for college, stay with them part time or full and be an officer. I wish I'd joined, especially the Air Guard. I have a ton of family and friends who are now retired and "double dipping"on a second job just because they want something to do.
A good buddy in H.S. is now a Lt.Col...could have been me.

Stay single until you are mentally mature to handle life with someone else. Your life will be shared and they will share their life with you. You have to take both people into consideration..not just yourself anymore. Then if you have children..they should be your #1 responsibility.
This means...food, clothing, and shelter for your family. Everything else is second..for some it's college, fancy cars, trips around the world.
Which do you want and when?

I was 34 years old when I married. So, I got to see and do a lifetime of things...live with the Navajo in New Mexico, be a cowboy on the King and Waggoner Ranches in Texas, a beach bum living in Southern California and going to Baja Mexico on the weekends...plus a ton of other things. ***I didn't really know what I wanted to do so I have 3 degrees and a Masters. Don't let people tease you or bring you down because you haven't decided about your life!!

College...try and I mean try to find something you like or halfway like and persue it. You may find as you go through college you don't know what you want to do, but find out what you DON'T WANT TO DO.

With any degree, will it stand on it's own. What I mean, can you get gainful employment with it or does it need a Master's or PhD to obtain employment? Is it a waste of time and money?
Look at secondary or continued education...Law, Medicine, Pharmacy, Physician's Assistant and so on.

Marriage: Marry your best friend. If she's not your best friend, she should be. Plan out waaay ahead before you marry. Somewhat same interests, become involved with what they like...example: I can tell you more about OPI and YSL fingernail polish, Ulta, Dillards, Saks and other womens department stores...her shoe size and color, what bra size she wears, favorite pots and pans and so forth.

On the other hand, she knows what ClassIII guns I like and have owned...she purchased a few for me, she knows what to look for in an original Winchester model 97 and can determine what year it was made, she can tell you more about Colt SAA pistols and original Colt Lightning rifles...and a ton of other stuff.

We both agreed when we were dating..NO CHILDREN!!!! Settle this, if you want children and your wife doesn't
or vice versa..goodluck. Money, spending, the difference between a need and a want.

Brother there's so much I'd love to tell you...but you will find out. Some of us do early on and some of us are
searching for the rest of our lives.

Ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, and ask. With that knowledge from asking and listening, make a choice. If it's one you want to change..do it. If not, proceed forward.

I wish you the very best. Ahhh, to start life again fresh.

Remember, if you don't ask, only YOU are to blame.

Cohiba

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't used to the idea that in the real world, nobody cares how smart you are -- the only thing they care about is how much value you can produce for them. I would have used my intelligence less just to amuse myself, and more to learn how to produce as much value as possible. I would also have tried to get some experience in the field I was interested in as early as possible. When finding a job, real world experience generally matters a lot more than what degrees and titles you have, or what your GPA was in school.

This is good advice! At some point, you can jump from 'paid for what you do' to 'paid for what you know', but college grads NEVER fit that description. Getting a degree and expecting the world to throw wads of money at you for what you know is dumb.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was one of the lucky ones who knew what I wanted to do; which was work on cars. Graduated high school in 71, got an associate degree in automotive technology, then one more year in Mechanical Power Technology, worked as a mechanic for over 25 years.

Had a bad knee injury that made it hard to be on my feet all day so I took some computer certification courses and I've been doing that for 12 years now.

Haven't ever made a lot of money, but usually more than average. Plus I like the problem solving aspect both careers have provided.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did 4 years of college and got my degree in Plastics Engineering graduating with a class of 12 (in my major) with a degree offered by less than a dozen schools in the nation. I got my degree in something specialized I knew I would be marketable in.

I am not one of 140,000+ people graduating with a business management degree.

I wouldnt do anything differently but my degree and path was less than normal, intentionally. You want to stand out in a stack of resumes, think about how you can do that and you should be OK.

okla1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I wanted to enlist in the Army after high school because I didn't know what I wanted to do. My dad talked me into going to college instead. Went to OU, graduated in 4 years with a business degree in international business/finance. Went to work as a stockbroker for about 8 months after & hated the sales aspect of it. Quit that & was bar manager for a year which was super fun but paid bad. Quit the bar, found a job in commercial lending/finance and I've been there 6 years this month. Oh & earned a masters in econ from OU while working full time too.

My family's rule for life/education/work:

Study/Work/Do what you are best at not what you love, that in turn will afford you the ability to do what you truly love to do.

In short, you get outta life what you put into it. The world is full of smart lazy people, don't be one.

Good luck,

Okla

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is good advice! At some point, you can jump from 'paid for what you do' to 'paid for what you know', but college grads NEVER fit that description. Getting a degree and expecting the world to throw wads of money at you for what you know is dumb.

Yet that is basically the expectation, or at least hope, that I and many others had as college students.

Picking a field or major you think you will enjoy is fine, but you need a concrete plan for how you are going to turn that into a way of producing value that other people will pay you for, and how you are going to convince people to hire you to do this.

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After high school I worked for a year painting oil tanks and pipeline. Got tired of the nagging from family and went to college, made it three semesters before I just couldn't handle sitting in a classroom anymore. I had to be up and working, not sitting at a desk. Went back to working in industrial coatings doing everything from painting offices at an oil company to using carbon fiber and fiberglass. Now I work in a tire shop and can't figure out just what I want to do. I am happy with my current job the pay just sucks. Do what you love and you'll be happier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom