Aging your Deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we've had cool weather last week, and forcasted, I decided to try aging my most recent harvest a bit differently. Hung it all in the storage shed a few days ago and opened the window half way. Plan on leaving it another day or two then proceesing.

Was curious if anyone else is doing this? Usually I just leave it in the ice chest for about three days, covered in ice with the spout open, then process.

I read that since deer lacks the fat and connective tissue that makes long time aging viable (21 or longer for cows), 2 to 7 days is appropriate.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never had the time or inclination to “hang” a deer. My goal has always been to skin and quarter or debone ASAP (usually while there is still a “quiver” in the muscle).:thumb:

In my opinion, unless you’re really experienced with aging meat, it’s not worth the risk.:anyone:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The enzymes that make meat tough take about three days to break down (in an animal the size of a deer). I age them in the barn or the refrigerator. Never directly submerged in ice (even though Grandpa did it that way). I don't want water ever touching meat. I won't flush a carcass with a hose, but a lot of people will without problems. You're gonna cook the meat so the breeding ground for bacteria created by contact with water should make very little difference.

My own experience is anecdotal, of course, but I've aged dozens of deer with no problems. I've also eaten venison the day it was killed and it was usually tender enough. When I was young I had good teeth.

I should mention that I'm not a food scientist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom