Allergies are killing me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Local hive honey. Go to a local farmers market and try to find honey made from locally collected honey. You are ingesting local pollens and building up a tolerance.I started doing that 20 years ago and my annual allergie suffering in August to September has totally disapeared.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get on a nasal spray (Nasonex, Flonase, etc) and use it in conjunction with the pills you're taking along with Neil Med Sinus Rinse.

+1 on the sinus lavage.

If I have been outside, mowing perhaps, I KNOW I have allergens in my hair, on my skin. I won't take that stuff to bed with me, who wants to roll around on that pillow and get stuffier all night? So, I shower, and while the steam is good, but I use a Neil Med sinus lavage while I am in there. It definitely removes irritants and allergens.

That plus your meds, and you will be in a better place. Good luck.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, but not overnight. They're steroid sprays so it will take consistent usage to get the most benefit. I tell most people with bad allergies to use it until the weather is freezing outside.

Consistent use is the key. My mother has bad allergies, but she won't take medication regularly and won't follow instructions. Then she gets nasty sinus and ear infections and has to go on antibiotics and is miserable for weeks at a time.

Not too bright.

So... sinus rinse.... yes.
Steroid nasal sprays... yes.
Antihistamines/decongestants... yes.

Steroid injections... possibly. For some people, Depo-medrol steroid injections can get you through 4-6 weeks or more of the worst of the allergy season.

As for home remedies, I can't really vouch for any of those. I dunno.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Neti Pot is a wonderful thing, but I can't use one without nearly drowning myself. It's a sight to see. So I have given them up.

I normally tough it out, and take an occasional antihistamine if needed. Something basic, like Benadryl or Chlorpheniramine. They are the only two that work reasonably well for me (no real luck with the others like Allegra, Claritin, Zyrtec), but they both make me really drowsy so I avoid them as much as I can.

I also find that a hot shower seems to help a lot in the short term (the steam, I think). And though it does not help the allergies' symptoms themselves, staying hydrated sure makes me feel better. Anytime I am congested or sneezing or coughing, I always feel like I need extra water.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Consistent use is the key. My mother has bad allergies, but she won't take medication regularly and won't follow instructions. Then she gets nasty sinus and ear infections and has to go on antibiotics and is miserable for weeks at a time.

Not too bright.

So... sinus rinse.... yes.
Steroid nasal sprays... yes.
Antihistamines/decongestants... yes.

Steroid injections... possibly. For some people, Depo-medrol steroid injections can get you through 4-6 weeks or more of the worst of the allergy season.

As for home remedies, I can't really vouch for any of those. I dunno.

I've always been afraid to take all kinds of different meds at once cuz I thought it would cause problems like kidney damage on down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom