Ammo price insurance ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Various websites allow backorders, and it occurred to me that I could stagger backorders to maintain a supply of my ammo, while locking in current prices.

If prices go down, I can cancel. But if they go up, I'm protected -- assuming the orders fill and the store honors their original price.

I emailed one place that it notorious for delays and asked if the price at the time of order is guaranteed, even with a long delay and an interim price increase. They said yes. So, I now have two ammo orders staggered through mid-2013... and my cc doesn't get charged until the order ships.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sportsmansguide.com Is the place that confirmed the price lock, but there are probably others... pretty sure Cabelas locks the price in when backordering. Look at slickguns.com ammo deals - some say "backorderable".

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought from Sportsmansguide and they will cancel your order after a certain amount of time if they get to back logged. And when you go to order again, you have to pay whatever the current price is.

Lightsluvr

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought from Sportsmansguide and they will cancel your order after a certain amount of time if they get to back logged. And when you go to order again, you have to pay whatever the current price is.

Any idea on what "a certain amount of time" means? Did they cancel after a month? Two months?

I placed a backorder for bulk rifle rifle ammunition - they state expected delivery by January 21 (or similar date). Should I expect them to cancel the order willy nilly?

LL

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Any time I've had ammo backordered from SG and they had to change the delivery date, they sent an email that said basically "we can't get it to you when we said, so if you don't respond to this, we are going to cancel the order, but if you do respond to this, you are accepting our new delivery date."

I've had stuff on backorder for over a year with them before, but I responded to all of the emails and eventually got the ammo for the last years price (and 4 pay to boot).

Dave

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought I would mention that my plan is working :)

One of my orders just got in stock and shipped out yesterday.... 500 rounds of 9mm @ 21.6 cents per round (and had a $10 coupon that pretty much paid for shipping).
Next, I have 2 more (500 and 1000 rounds) scheduled over the next 6 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom