Ammunition Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
true statement. I used to guard nuclear missiles overseas; occassionally we got to see other munitions and shoot the same. The newest .50 cal ammo I ever shot upto 1990 was made in 1951. When they open those bunkers you would be really surprised at the dates on this stuff. The chemical artillery shells they took out of theater were 20+ yrs old and were stored in conexes in concrete bunkers. Ammo is really not as fragile as some people think. the guys in the desert are not walking around on eggshells with this stuff, it is hot, dirty, sometimes very wet, in other places. I had a ton of the israel field pickup .223 that looked like it was in a war and then picked back up. stuff shined right up and every round I fired went off. even the slightly dented ones.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1. I was running links of .50 API through my Ma Duece back in '07 with mixed headstamps from the 1940's and early 1950's....never had a bad round.

We'd also shoot up 60+ year old .303 in recovered weapons...and I know that ammo wasn't stored in a climate controlled environment.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1. I was running links of .50 API through my Ma Duece back in '07 with mixed headstamps from the 1940's and early 1950's....never had a bad round.

We'd also shoot up 60+ year old .303 in recovered weapons...and I know that ammo wasn't stored in a climate controlled environment.

Don't I know it, I worked in Iraq for two years destroying all that stuff. Even though they had magazines and warehouses to store their stuff in they sure didn't know anything about QC, inspections, or rotation of stocks, or seperation by types. They would just fill up a magazine till it was full with whatever they had. Same with the warehouses. You were more scared getting all the stuff out, than blowing it up later.

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Arlington_Picture314.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Arlington_Picture1177.jpg

ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_Arlington_Picture105.jpg

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it was cool that my ammo cans were marked "For B-52G Use Only". What a nice little relic of the cold war with some WWII/Korean era mixed in for good measure....still being used in the 21st century.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I thought it was cool that my ammo cans were marked "For B-52G Use Only". What a nice little relic of the cold war with some WWII/Korean era mixed in for good measure....still being used in the 21st century.

Alot of the rounds for the 40MM Bofors are left over from WWII. If you look at the 4rd clip that holds them together your likely to see USN markings. Almost all reserve ammo in .30-06 is WWII/Korea, .308/7.62X51 reserve is early Vietnam to current. .45ACP, .38spl(yes we still have it in reserve), .380acp, .32acp is still on tap, and the ages are all over the place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom