Another ML question - Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My ML takes the 209 primers. My question is, does the primer brand or type make a difference in accuracy?

I ask because right now I have mine sighted in with 209A's (no clue what the A means) and I am almost out of them. My next two boxes are two different brands of regular 209's.

I know I can go to the range and find out but I am trying to avoid that if possible before season. I didn't realize I was so low on the 209As until now.

Am I good or do I need to go sight it in again? Thoughts?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This may help explain what the different letters stand for.
P stands for premier, an older Remington designation for their premium product of the time. A stand for aluminum. M stands for magnum. STS stands for skeet, trap, and sporting (sporting clays). SC stands for sporting clays. What the differences are I couldn’t tell you. I found this info at shotgunworld.com.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried to get percussion caps for my Hawken $112 for a little tin pack and out of stock. So I guess I will convert my Hawken to 209 nipple after I kill a deer this next week with one of my last 5 CCI caps. 209 replacement kit runs $40 at midway and 209 primers are about $20 a package.
I sighted in today with 385gr plains bullets over 85gr of Pyrodex so I should be good to go Saturday.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once upon a time I went down a path about 209 primers really being overkill for modern muzzle loaders and potentially causing accuracy issues. There was some outfit that made a breech-plug that took a 25 acp case that used a standard pistol primer. I had a member here modify a breech-plug for me, but I’ve never actually done the testing to see if it made a difference. I liked that I could possibly save some money on primers , too.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was some outfit that made a breech-plug that took a 25 acp case that used a standard pistol primer.

I saw that a short while ago.

Also another variation that used stainless inserts machined like the back half of a 22 hornet case, and a special breech plug to match.

Used a standard 22 hornet shell holder to prime / deprime in your favorite press, etc.

I may lean that way in the future.
The state moverd our muzzle stuffer season to Janurary if I remember right

Now it seems no one I know bothers with the muzzle stuffers now!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just tried to get percussion caps for my Hawken $112 for a little tin pack and out of stock. So I guess I will convert my Hawken to 209 nipple after I kill a deer this next week with one of my last 5 CCI caps. 209 replacement kit runs $40 at midway and 209 primers are about $20 a package.
I sighted in today with 385gr plains bullets over 85gr of Pyrodex so I should be good to go Saturday.
For a few dollars more and you could get 1000 from powder valley if they had them in stock. back when i bought my 1000 i think it worked out $5 per tin (100)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I have 7-800 that I bought at Academy last year that I probably won’t ever use, and if you’d be willing to meet me somewhere along on I-35, I’ll sell them to you for what I paid for them. $10/tin.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have 7-800 that I bought at Academy last year that I probably won’t ever use, and if you’d be willing to meet me somewhere along on I-35, I’ll sell them to you for what I paid for them. $10/tin.
My dad told me this evening that there is a Plano tackle box in his reloading room with a bunch of muzzleloader stuff in it I will check and holler at you if I dont find them.
Thank you, OSA rocks because of people like you

Latest posts

Top Bottom