Another ML question - Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad there is not a coyote trap that is as simple to set, bait, and worked as good as those coon shackles
Coyotes are probably the hardest to trap because they are cautious, and any human smell drives them away. I've never had the patients to trap them. A buddy did, but he can't get out of bed early enough to run the traps before they chew their leg off and are gone. They certainly destroy the trap area.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My ML takes the 209 primers. My question is, does the primer brand or type make a difference in accuracy?

I ask because right now I have mine sighted in with 209A's (no clue what the A means) and I am almost out of them. My next two boxes are two different brands of regular 209's.

I know I can go to the range and find out but I am trying to avoid that if possible before season. I didn't realize I was so low on the 209As until now.

Am I good or do I need to go sight it in again? Thoughts?

There's so much variation in seating pressure from shot to shot with a ML it would be pretty hard to determine whether a the primer varieties made any difference or not.

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried to get percussion caps for my Hawken $112 for a little tin pack and out of stock. So I guess I will convert my Hawken to 209 nipple after I kill a deer this next week with one of my last 5 CCI caps. 209 replacement kit runs $40 at midway and 209 primers are about $20 a package.
I sighted in today with 385gr plains bullets over 85gr of Pyrodex so I should be good to go Saturday.
Are you talking about #11 percussion caps???

SBSATS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you need 209 primers for BP season, let me know. I have plenty. Will give you enough to get you through this season if you're willing to come to Shawnee and pick them up.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only 209 style primers I’ve ever had issues with were Remington Kleanbore, and that very well could have been due to how/where they were stored. They were given to me after being stored in an a-frame house that was used more as a hunting lodge and rarely occupied witting on a window sill for at least a few years.

Beyond that I can’t say brand or type has made a difference in point of impact for my CVA Optima Pro.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just tried to get percussion caps for my Hawken $112 for a little tin pack and out of stock. So I guess I will convert my Hawken to 209 nipple after I kill a deer this next week with one of my last 5 CCI caps. 209 replacement kit runs $40 at midway and 209 primers are about $20 a package.
I sighted in today with 385gr plains bullets over 85gr of Pyrodex so I should be good to go Saturday.
Where the heck are you shopping? Was that for a hundred? I changed to 209’s a few years ago and still have some #11 caps left that I would probably sell. It’ll probably be too late for this year though.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where the heck are you shopping? Was that for a hundred? I changed to 209’s a few years ago and still have some #11 caps left that I would probably sell. It’ll probably be too late for this year though.
I did not know that was a case price for 10 packs, hey I'm old......

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a case of #11 caps for $20, on clearance at Wally, the Monday after season closed, 6 years ago.

I had nothing that used #11 caps, but at that price ......

2 years ago, I was at our LGS, a guy was asking about #11 caps. Shop had none.
I offered to sell him 100 for $10. He declined "because he didn't know me, or how the caps were stored." Hey, I offered, no skin off my teeth.

He left and shop owner asked how many caps I had? I traded the 10 boxes for 10 sleeves Win LRP.

2 weeks later, the guy comes in, sees the caps, "you got some in." $25 per 100. He bought 2. Looks at me, "glad I waited, I know these are good."

To OP, I have used Win, Fed, Rem, CCI 209s, as well as TC BP209 and can tell no difference in any of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom