another public land coyote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ai160.photobucket.com_albums_t185_okhunter_album_huntingpics007.jpg

I called in 4 coyotes and a gray fox this week all on public land. I don't usually post pictures but with all the talk from crag83 this week about calling on public land I wanted to share a couple of observations I have. I have been hunting public land for years and it is usually not by choice.

Although it is much tougher than calling on large tracts of private property it can be productive. Just don't expect large Texas style numbers though. I think it can make you a better caller because you have to work at it more, you learn more and you appreciate it more when you are more successful.

Get a map and a gps and try to find places that are not as pressured. I hunt a lot of corps land that doesn't get near the pressure as some of the big public hunting areas.

Don't be afraid to walk in a ways. Most people who call seldom get far from the truck.Last year me and 3 other guys hiked in a way on an area that had just been called an hour before by another hunter. On the second stand we killed a nice bobcat. The guy that was there before us only got a hundred yards off the road.

Don't get frustrated! You are not going to call something in on every hunt. The more you can go the better your odds are.

crag83, I hunted the Okmolgee wma last year and never saw a thing. My point is stay after it and it will happen and don't let your lack of success get you frustrated.

Scott

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice work Scott. Sometime if you plan on coming out this way. I have a few places we can hunt. 3 or 4 spots in NW Washita County and 3 or 4 spots in central Caddo County.

zandroes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good job..
I'm in the learning process like crag83. I try not to get frustrated as I'm still learning. But sure would like to see a little fruit for my labor..
:ou1

Latest posts

Top Bottom