Antelope Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLB1 USMC

New to the site!
Reaction score
I drew a d doe tag for Cimarron county... Looking forward to the hunt... I have seen quite a few in the panhandle so this should be fun. I hope access will not be a problem....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. During the controlled antelope hunt the wardens will fine you for being in the field shooting dogs with anything more than a rimfire. I guess they figure if you saw a goat you would take it. Any other time you can use whatever you want.

I wondered if it was the same reg as the one during deer season. Thanks for the heads up:D

'd

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great information, thank you OSA. I am planning on either a .243 or a .25-06, I shoot both of them about the same with the edge to the .243. It seems like access will be the main concern in having a successful hunt so I am going to get busy in that direction first. Thanks again.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dont ever assume that people know the Hunting Regs. Find out for yourself at Wildlifedepartment.com.

Wanted to shoot some dogs last year and was told by the warden that we couldn't use centerfire during that time period that the antelope hunts was going. Only rimfire allowed.

When you check in for the hunt you will be signing in with 2-3 game wardens. Ask them.

jdubya

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought they would be hard to approach until I went for a two week motorcycle ride that took us through New Mexico. They were everywhere! Standing by the side of the road, laying in the ditch, roadkill, etc. Maybe they are not scared of motor vehicles any more.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought they would be hard to approach until I went for a two week motorcycle ride that took us through New Mexico. They were everywhere! Standing by the side of the road, laying in the ditch, roadkill, etc. Maybe they are not scared of motor vehicles any more.

Did you ever stop and get off your bike near them? I'd imagine the antelope would get a lot more concerned in a hurry, if you did that ;)

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posted a reply on the Controlled hunt thread for you. Don't limit yourself to grassland. Around here there are a lot of antelope that live most of their lives on the CRP and crop land. One of best ways to hunt that I have found is to drive around the land you are able to get permission on then once find some, figure out how to sneak up close enough to them to get a shot. Not always important to have lots of cover, because antelope are really curious. First time I went out, saw 4 does, and just got out of the pickup and bent over as far as I could, and started walking right up to them. They saw me after I had went a couple of hundred yards and started watching me. After another 100 yards, they started coming to see what I was. Just laid down and they came within about 200 yards. Could not get the shot I wanted at the antelope I wanted, so passed them up. Shot the one I wanted about 2 hours later about 2 miles away.

ha. I talked to your second child about this a few days ago. "It's boring!" she said. "just drive around, find them, walk out and shoot them."

Latest posts

Top Bottom