Any arachnologists on the forum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OMG! I would have shat myself right there! I find them on occasion but they seem to b fewer and fewer. Permethrin will kill them and has no oder. Spray your baseboards and your good for 6-9 months. Heat and water will neutralize it so if you spray outside, plan to do it every month.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

I left out the part about jumping out of bed and going completely ape crazy. One was so big I flung it across the room and could hear it hit the wall, fiddlebacks rarely have that kind of mass. The exterminator said she'd never seen or heard of brown recluse that big, she was amazed, she also said you couldn't pay her to spend a night in one those apartments LOL. Fortunately the combination of whatever she finally used and the sticky traps really put the hurt on them and after a couple weeks you couldn't find one if you tried. I frickin hate those things now!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I left out the part about jumping out of bed and going completely ape crazy. One was so big I flung it across the room and could hear it hit the wall, fiddlebacks rarely have that kind of mass. The exterminator said she'd never seen or heard of brown recluse that big, she was amazed, she also said you couldn't pay her to spend a night in one those apartments LOL. Fortunately the combination of whatever she finally used and the sticky traps really put the hurt on them and after a couple weeks you couldn't find one if you tried. I frickin hate those things now!

Holy ****. I would have ran through the wall if I had a huge spider on my face! I had one on me once, pulling wood from a pile and I know recluses love wood piles so I'm being careful...or so I thought. I see that bad MFer running up my arm towards my face and I beat the **** outa myself trying to get it off. Yeah no one saw me cause I looked but it would have been funny stuff later.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A cabinetmaker I know told me about a fiddleback that charged him once. He said he moved a piece of wood on his workbench (a piece he'd been working on, no less) and this fiddleback suddenly appeared on it, seemingly out of nowhere. It started running across the board toward him, and when it reached the end, flung itself into space at him. Of course, this is where it's cunning plan failed, as it hit the floor well short of the mark and got introduced to the sole of his shoe, but he said it was one of the weirdest things he'd ever seen...

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A cabinetmaker I know told me about a fiddleback that charged him once. He said he moved a piece of wood on his workbench (a piece he'd been working on, no less) and this fiddleback suddenly appeared on it, seemingly out of nowhere. It started running across the board toward him, and when it reached the end, flung itself into space at him. Of course, this is where it's cunning plan failed, as it hit the floor well short of the mark and got introduced to the sole of his shoe, but he said it was one of the weirdest things he'd ever seen...

Not a fiddle back. They are not aggressive. That does sound like a wolf spider which is commonly mistaken for the recluse.

SilencerX7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fiddle back. They are not aggressive. That does sound like a wolf spider which is commonly mistaken for the recluse.

Fiddlebacks will be aggressive if they've been dosed with those chemicals that are meant to kill them but, naturally, they are as you said. Wolf Spiders are the same I believe as I once saved a mother Wolf Spider with all her youngins on her back from being trampled on at my highschool. Spiders are good for our ecosystem. Which is why I try to save them if I can.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have them, and those little white scorpions. We just put scorpion bait boxes out and the glue pads in the house so the inside of the house is clear of them but the garage and my shop areas are still stock full of them. Ive been raising tarantulas, Emperor scorpions and all kinds of reptiles since I was a kid and have a critter room out in the garage with several of each of them, so Im not usually freaked out by weird critters. I have been bit once by a brown recluse since Ive been in Oklahoma and have a small crater from the bite on the side of my face. Still, I wont kill one when I see it I just shush it along. They eat up alot of pesky bugs and are beneficial and wont usually mess with you unless youre in their space, theyre usually more like hermits who prefer dark places like cardboard boxes as well as dusty spaces where other bugs crawl, but sometimes they will crawl in shoes and under sheets and blankets but theyre only after bugs to eat.

Bigger more harmless spiders like wolf spiders tho will actually eat them for you if you can stand to have the wolf spiders around. We have a shite load of wolf spiders that come from the woods next to us. Big ones. My dog chases and eats them on the patio. We also have some really big cool looking orb weavers in our trees and outside our porches and backdoors that come out every summer, theyre really awesome to observe at night when they make their webs to catch and eat bugs, totally harmless. Back in California we had black widows every where, way more than the brown recluses I see here, and those do freak me out because they are the most deadly spider in North America, you dont always survive that bite, a brown recluse bite wont usually be fatal. We had avocado trees and they were hell'a attracted to them. You had to look to see if it was female, which is more deadly and has a red triangle on its back, or male which are all black and not as killer. Hell, they can be in a sack of grapes from the store. Look at a bag of California grapes and sometimes you will be able to see a small bit of spider web in the middle. Thats usually from a black widow.

The most effective control of these tho may be biological. Two predatory critters will control spider populations in the house if left to roam - praying mantids and the wolf spiders. They will even eat black widows and hobo spiders. Praying mantids can sometimes be picked up at nurseries or could be ordered on line. The thing is, if you kill all the spiders you see, it increases the number of prey insects wandering around and makes the area more attractive to spiders migrating in. If you leave harmless spiders alone, there will not be enough prey to attract more spiders to come and stay. Spider farming is not for everyone tho.

(There is a BIG difference between poisonous and venomous. They affect two COMPLETELY different body systems. If it is poisonous then the poison will affect your digestive tract, or get absorbed through pores in your skin. If it is venomous, then the animal will bite or sting you to INJECT the venom. In theory you could drink a lethal dose of rattlesnake venom, and since it was not injected into the bloodstream, not enough of it will reach your blood to kill you.)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Dont kill any other spider but the venomous ones outside. Inside I spray so I can't discriminate the same way, if it finds my poison, too bad.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first moved to rural Grady county I found a recluse probably once a day in the house. Now my "rural" area is not nearly as such so I suspect that has a role in less sightings. I have only seen 2 in the past 2 months since they became active following winter. I hate the very appearance of a recluse, they just look and act evil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom