Any Audio Video experts out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting them to communicate isnt an issue. If he wanted to simplify and update, I figure he would have asked for AVR recommendations, rather than asking how to make this work.

True, very true. But the advice given is like reading stereo instructions in Chinese. It would be much easier to bring his receiver up to todays smart TV technology in case in a year or three he purchases a new TV. With todays receiver's/smart TV's even a cave man can do it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, very true. But the advice given is like reading stereo instructions in Chinese. It would be much easier to bring his receiver up to todays smart TV technology in case in a year or three he purchases a new TV. With todays receiver's/smart TV's even a cave man can do it.
Too busy buyin guns with my money instead of new stereo and TV stuffies that is out of date when you leave the store. Besides I have another flat screen in the closet that just needs power supply caps I already purchased to replace I just haven't had the need or want to get into that closet. It's scary! Ever hear of Fibber McGee?

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're tv doesnt have fiber out, I would suggest upgrading your receiver. Comparable cost, and like jcann said, it'll simplify things. If you can get the other tv working, and it has fiber out, you can get by. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver I might let go if I can convince the wife we need to upgrade.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're tv doesnt have fiber out, I would suggest upgrading your receiver. Comparable cost, and like jcann said, it'll simplify things. If you can get the other tv working, and it has fiber out, you can get by. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver I might let go if I can convince the wife we need to upgrade.
I have the same problem with my wife. She always gets historical when I do something she doesn't like.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In terms we can all understand, your stereo is like the John Browning designed Flapper model 1873. A firearm that worked but there are better tools through modern technology. Look it up, it’s a fascinating early design.

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too busy buyin guns with my money instead of new stereo and TV stuffies that is out of date when you leave the store. Besides I have another flat screen in the closet that just needs power supply caps I already purchased to replace I just haven't had the need or want to get into that closet. It's scary! Ever hear of Fibber McGee?

I understand. I bit the bullet several years ago and upgraded my receiver. No longer do I have to mess with all those cables. My old receiver is in the garage entertaining me while I work or reload.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
historical, as in she reminds you of all the things you did in the past that she didn't like?

You got it.

Just get something like this, you aren't going to get surround out of it, but you can parse the sound from the HDMI signal.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Ex...7QQ77RR6ZAE&psc=1&refRID=SRC9BNRC47QQ77RR6ZAE

I like it!

In terms we can all understand, your stereo is like the John Browning designed Flapper model 1873. A fireman that worked but there are better tools through modern technology. Look it up, it’s a fascinating early design.

Hell. before I bought this thing I was still in the 70's with my LAB400 turntable and Marantz amp.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TV is a flat screen, no internet connection. I am only on antenna and ROKU stick on the 1st of three HDMI inputs. The TV does have Component inputs but I have never got it to work through the Sony. I went straight from the DVD to the TV and it worked but not through the Sony. I'm sure it's just a programming issue. Yes it is a DE997 and yes it was purchased for $20. Ha! The remote I had to order and doesn't work about half of the stuff this thing can do, or I am not smart enough to program it to do. I downloaded the manual and printed it out so I can thumb through it quicker.
As for the TV I can't remember if it has a fiber input or a S Video. Can't find the manual and the sucker is heavy and wall mounted and scares me every time I lift it to see where I'm plugging in something. That and intermittently when I move the wiring I'd lose a channel signal or two. I've tried jiggling to find the open wire or short but found it I leave it alone it will come back. I must be on an Indian burial ground.
Your pics don't reflect any HDMI inputs?

Latest posts

Top Bottom