Home surveillance build thread (part 1)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bunch of threads I've seen here recently have gotten me thinking more about home security. I'm also a big open source fan and I've built my home surveillance system around some open source products. But I realize not everyone eats and breathes this stuff everyday like some of us here so maybe I and other geek/nerds here could give back to the community a bit help others get their cctv systems kicked off on the cheap and realtively easy. The target audience of this thread is those with a basic background in computers (ie anyone computer savvy enough to use this forum). If you can figure out how to get to and post on this forum, chances are you can work your way though this build.

A simple CCTV system can be put together for a modest outlay of cash to get started especially if you have an old PC laying around. An old dual core processor and a few gig of ram are plenty. For example, I run my CCTV system on a 7 year old PC that is also running my open source DVR that is constantly capturing over the air broadcast and transcoding. It really doesn't take a beast and I would guess many have old systems that would work just fine. If you have such an animal and a wireless network at home, for around 50 bucks, you can start a simple and reasonable CCTV that is capable of motion detection, recording, and alerting. If the bad guys do come, you might be able to put a face with the deed.

So what you are going to build will be based in Ubuntu. Ok so what the hell is a Ubuntu? Ubuntu is a popular and well supported open source operating system (like Windows) based on Linux. Linux is derived of an old Unix operating system developed in various flavors back in the day to run high powered computers and main frame. It is extremely module and powerful but like anything with lots of dials and switches, you have a great deal of control which means you have a great deal of potential to mess things up. Fast forward about 20 years, Linux has taken off and a lot of Linux based projects have taken off specialized into all kinds of uses. In Ubuntu's case, they have developed Linux to be extremely easy to install and maintain while still offering the power and flexibility for those who want it. We are focusing on Ubuntu because it already has the packages (programs/applications) you need to build your CCTV system available to install easily.

The first thing you want to do is download Ubuntu from the link below and then follow the steps. If you have a cd/dvd burner, you can create a boot disk on that but I recommend using a USB stick detailed in the 3rd link. It's the most complex for the beginner but really just involves similar steps to a cd/dvd but you a USB drive. The only other catch is many PCs are configured by default to try to boot from the cd/dvd drive but you ahve to modify the BIOS to boot from a USB before it attempts to boot from the hard drive. This typically involves looking at the display which will tell you to press some key to enter the BIOS (F1, ESC, or similar). We can get into that kind of stuff in the thread below.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/install-ubuntu-server

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

If you've gotten this far, you are likely booting up your new server and you are faced with some menus. This is where we will have to get into some Q/A because how you answer them depends on how your network is setup. For example, you will be asked about IP addresses and you want to set this one permanently because the camera you are going to buy will be sending its video stream here. You will need to know your IP network address range (typically something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) and the subnet mask (typically something like 255.255.255.0). We can get into this more but in a nutshell, the first number is the address to your computer (like your house) and the second is the subnet (think of it like a zip code). There will be a 3rd number called a gateway or router that looks like like the first but the last numbers will be differnet. Think of this as the post office that knows how to send your mail to other post offices in other cities zip codes.

Here is a youtube video on how to install the most recent version. It has an annoying digital voice but has the steps with pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5lMuMhmd4Q

So this thread is getting a little long winded and I figure we can stop here and if anyone actually wants to attempt this, we can help get you going up to the point you have a basic server built. This is by far the hardest part!

Also, while you are doing this, head over to foscam and look at some of the camera. I'll post links to deals I've gotten recently but you can get an indoor pan/tilt camera for a little over 50 bucks and an outdoor fixed camera for under 80. I've used them for quite a while and they've worked fine. Post up questions or even an "I'm doing this" and I'll continue to the next step which is installing and configuring your CCTV software called Zoneminder and help with the camera configs.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say just cause someone can log into these forums doesn't meant they are comfortable building a pc and installing sign operating system. Especially Linux.

That said, there are many manufacturers that give you dvr software for Windows when you buy their ip cameras. Of course that route is considerably more expensive than the open source route. Up side is it's not much harder to setup than installing Microsoft office or some other program.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are also a number of NAS Storage devices that can support applications for DVR. My Synology disk station has a "video station" application. Haven't tried it yet, but that is going to be my first attempt.

Thanks for putting this thread together, good info!!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say just cause someone can log into these forums doesn't meant they are comfortable building a pc and installing sign operating system. Especially Linux.
So when you mastered posting on a forum you reach the limits of your ability to learn? Give yourself a little more credit.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So when you mastered posting on a forum you reach the limits of your ability to learn? Give yourself a little more credit.

There are typically 2 kinds of people, application users, those who want to turn it on, click a couple of predefined panels with default config settings, and watch it run from that point. They want set it and forget it, they don't want to learn the intricacies of a new OS, and all of the underlying infrastructure. These comprise the majority of people.

Then there are the folks that like to build and play, they don't mind messing with the system, setting it up using commands, getting down in the weeds to make it work. Most people aren't in this category.

Don't confuse learning as the issue here, it's more of a desire. I'm sure most could learn how to make it work, but many don't want to. They have other things that are more important to them.

I understand how it all works, and could invest the time to do it from scratch, but I don't want to, my time is more valuable than that. I would prefer to be an application user on this one. Doesn't mean I don't have the ability to learn...

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget, by the time you have them on camera, its probably too late & (a big &), unless you know them you probably will not be able to identify them.
Just yesterday I watched footage of a burglary. And that was that. "Yep, there they are taking everything and there they go."

Home security system is the way to go. Let that siren sound when they pop a window, or bust in the back door.

*Stay away from the big nation wide companies, go with a long standing local company. (just my advice. I work in the industry)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget, by the time you have them on camera, its probably too late & (a big &), unless you know them you probably will not be able to identify them.
Just yesterday I watched footage of a burglary. And that was that. "Yep, there they are taking everything and there they go."

Home security system is the way to go. Let that siren sound when they pop a window, or bust in the back door.

*Stay away from the big nation wide companies, go with a long standing local company. (just my advice. I work in the industry)
I agree with this. That said I have 4 fake cameras mounted outside. $7 each on amazon and they look very real. I hope this is a deterrent as I imagine it to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom