Home surveillance build thread (part 1)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are typically 2 kinds of people, application users, those who want to turn it on, click a couple of predefined panels with default config settings, and watch it run from that point. They want set it and forget it, they don't want to learn the intricacies of a new OS, and all of the underlying infrastructure. These comprise the majority of people.

Then there are the folks that like to build and play, they don't mind messing with the system, setting it up using commands, getting down in the weeds to make it work. Most people aren't in this category.

Don't confuse learning as the issue here, it's more of a desire. I'm sure most could learn how to make it work, but many don't want to. They have other things that are more important to them.

I understand how it all works, and could invest the time to do it from scratch, but I don't want to, my time is more valuable than that. I would prefer to be an application user on this one. Doesn't mean I don't have the ability to learn...
I understand the 2 types. I'm partially both. There are just too many things I am involved with to be knee deep in them all. Time doesnt allow it. On the other hand, my mom is 77 and has had a PC for at least 25 years now and I still can not make her understand how to and the benefit of using cut/copy and paste. She just doesn't get it. Navigating the hard drive file system was also a huge learning curve.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget, by the time you have them on camera, its probably too late & (a big &), unless you know them you probably will not be able to identify them.
Just yesterday I watched footage of a burglary. And that was that. "Yep, there they are taking everything and there they go."

Home security system is the way to go. Let that siren sound when they pop a window, or bust in the back door.

*Stay away from the big nation wide companies, go with a long standing local company. (just my advice. I work in the industry)

Yup totally agree but don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Visible cameras offer a good deterrence and are typically indicative of a more advanced security system. I had my front door kicked in on a smash and grab and they left with my TV with the alarm singing happily in the background. Might not have stopped the crime but would have done my heart good to give the cops a picture of the shitheads who did it. I figure this basic how to is timely with all the home invasion and robbery threads on here recently. Made me think I should share some of my own experiences building a CCTV system that I think is pretty easy and inexpensive. You can also do some advanced things like popup alerts and picture in picture viewing on your TVs when your alarm is on. All my systems are integrated so my cameras, gates, and sensors around the property all compliment each other.

For you guys saying I lost you, I'll bet if you give it a try, you will be surprised how easy it is. I'll help you out if you have questions and we have lots of techie types on here that might chime in to answer questions. Trade an evening of American Idol for some seat time in the computer world and we will turn you into Ubuntu admins before you know it! BTW, all you have to do once you get your server running is type "sudo apt-get install zoneminder" at the prompt and get a cup or two of coffee. When it's done, its just a matter of a couple of screens to configure your camera.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have a few DVR units and cameras (used) for sale or trade, if anyone is looking for any.

I'm interested. Currently looking for an 8 camera capable system with at least 5 camers. Prefer 600TVL+ for the camers and 50+ft of IR capabilities.

Otherwise, I'm subscribed to the thread. We're building in the country and I'm looking at a home-grown security/automation system. I'll probably integrate some raspberry pi's.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are typically 2 kinds of people, application users, those who want to turn it on, click a couple of predefined panels with default config settings, and watch it run from that point. They want set it and forget it, they don't want to learn the intricacies of a new OS, and all of the underlying infrastructure. These comprise the majority of people.

Then there are the folks that like to build and play, they don't mind messing with the system, setting it up using commands, getting down in the weeds to make it work. Most people aren't in this category.

Don't confuse learning as the issue here, it's more of a desire. I'm sure most could learn how to make it work, but many don't want to. They have other things that are more important to them.

I understand how it all works, and could invest the time to do it from scratch, but I don't want to, my time is more valuable than that. I would prefer to be an application user on this one. Doesn't mean I don't have the ability to learn...

This. I've administered mixed-OS networks and compiled my own kernel on more than one occasion, but any more, I just don't want to mess with it. Time spent screwing with it is time not spent playing with my kid, working on my house (note: if you enjoy working on houses, and work cheap, PM me!), or devoted to hobbies. Computers ceased to be fun for me some time ago.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested. Currently looking for an 8 camera capable system with at least 5 camers. Prefer 600TVL+ for the camers and 50+ft of IR capabilities.

Otherwise, I'm subscribed to the thread. We're building in the country and I'm looking at a home-grown security/automation system. I'll probably integrate some raspberry pi's.

I have two setups that are both 16 channels. I know nothing about CCTV, but I do know these are commercial units. When we changed security companies where I work, they had us to switch over to "their" equipment so we don't need these any longer. One is a large rack-type Pelco DVR that has 2 hard drives in it and room to put more. The other is American Dynamics and has one hard drive in it. I have 4-5 color cameras with them that have indoor / outdoor tamper-proof enclosures and then a couple larger outdoor camera thingies. I don't know much about them, other than they work. Both will need the wires that go from camera to dvr's, but those appear to be pretty cheap on Ebay. I don't know what anything is worth, so am open to any offers or trades for it all. If someone has a business, I also have several alarm and sprinkler wall-thingamajigs.

Renegadethreads

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info. Look forward to seeing more.

Those suggesting Windows as another option should really mention the stability issues that come with the extra costs. Windows server can be made fairly stable, but Windows for consumers is probably the only affordable Windows option and in comparison to Linux it's far less stable and comes with much higher requirements.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to hear the rest of the install.
But what resolution do you have?
I'd be interested in 1080i/p camera capability.

Otherwise, If you just want some basic video security, (i.e. 420-720 Tvl):
Just go to Amazon and search for Zmodo camera systems. Cameras, wires, DVR, $200-300, one box has it all. and it's ready for install.

I'm interested.
Please continue.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a 16 ch system with 13 cameras, at one point two of the channels were pan/tilt cams.. I want to replace them with 20x optical zoom PTZ's. I love being able to watch my place from my laptop, living-room TV, phone, tablets, my kindle, or command central...

My camera system has been used two times to help my local PD and municipality, and one time to help a neighbor friend who thought a sheet of plywood was stolen, I ended up showing him he actually used it...nothing like thinking your were stolen from to learn you used the stuff yourself. just about every car on the block that had unlocked door was broken into, sadly thats when I learned my Pan tilt cam was down, I still got two angles/cams/shots of the some of the perps...I turned it into the PD a few days later the local detective came by to tell me he watched the video and was looking into some leads, he thanked me for the high quality images. so that was cool.

Anyway, are you using a CCTV card to interface the video feeds to the computer or are you using IP cameras?? If its IP that not really CCTV, but that's not really important..or is it? CCTV is not as hackable unless someone is directly interfering with your cables...IP cams can be hacked remotely...if they cared enough and your house were part of a scene out of one of the Ocean movies...

I have some interest on the open source projects using Arduino biased facial/human tracking projects, using PTZ, or a basic cam and servos you can make a camera that tracks human movement. there is also some interesting Paintball gun integration..

Latest posts

Top Bottom