Any Audio Video experts out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need assistance putting together my system to be able to switch speakers from the TV speakers to my surround sound. I have two different systems that are not IP capable. I'm having trouble understanding the language ie. acronyms and technical wording of the manual.
I would also like to incorporate my turntables, CD changers, and CD/DVD player. I purchased a television DVR that unknown to me has to be registered to work. It has been sitting over a year because it was not specified in the item description the extra fee was necessary. I want to investigate this and if it is necessary I may sell it.

Any knowledgeable people on here can spare me some time?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need assistance putting together my system to be able to switch speakers from the TV speakers to my surround sound. I have two different systems that are not IP based. I'm having trouble understanding the language ie. acronyms and technical wording of the manual.
I would also like to incorporate my turntables, CD changers, and CD/DVD player. I purchased a television DVR that unknown to me has to be registered to work. It has been sitting over a year because it was not specified in the item description the extra fee was necessary. I want to investigate this and if it is necessary I may sell it.

Any knowledgeable people on here can spare me some time?
Everything you mentioned would have to be "smart" in today's lingo.
Capable of Bluetooth, Apple play or something similar if I'm not wrong.
There may be adapters but I'm not familiar with them.
In our home and RV everything is "Smart" to be able to communicate between devices. We can play video's from the phone, and stream from WiFi to watch any video.
The DVR has to be registered with a provider at a monthly rate to be activated.
I didn't know squat about all of this until it showed up on OSA two years ago in a thread.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything you mentioned would have to be "smart" in today's lingo.
Capable of Bluetooth, Apple play or something similar if I'm not wrong.
There may be adapters but I'm not familiar with them.
In our home and RV everything is "Smart" to be able to communicate between devices. We can play video's from the phone, and stream from WiFi to watch any video.
The DVR has to be registered with a provider at a monthly rate to be activated.
I didn't know squat about all of this until it showed up on OSA two years ago in a thread.
Nope, they are as dumb as I am about AV. I do have all the cables I will need though, DVI, USB, HDMI, S Vid, Fiber optic, Component, Composite, RG6 with F connectors and about a thousand ~snicker~ wall warts to power stuff. I have a home camera system I want to incorporate but again it is old technology but does have the capability of internet however the operating system is archaic and I have trouble maintaining the DNS. I think ATT keeps shutting it off on me.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The heart of all of this is the AVR(Audio Video Receiver). It handles all of the sound, and you pass the video/sound signal(HDMI) through it. If you don't have HDMI it is still possible with component level input(Audio/Sound).

Post what you have, I'm sure the collective minds here can help a bit.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
142430-34c30555-sony_strde997_71_av_receiver_for_stereo_receiver.jpg

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...v_receiver_for_stereo_receiver/images/142427/

142426-4c85594f-sony_strde997_71_av_receiver_for_stereo_receiver.jpg

Been reading the manual AGAIN.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt your TV has "S-Video in" (unless it's a really old TV) therefore I don't see how you're going to wire your video from your stereo into the TV.

I also doubt your TV has a composite "video in".

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may have to mute your tv & run the tv sound thru your DVD player. Prob is you have to have both running. Older tech stuff like that is not user friendly. I ended up just buying a modern sound bar & went thru the optical input in the tv. Simpler & don’t have to use the receiver/amp just for watching tv. If a dvd/Blu-ray, then can run everything thru the reciever & use stereo speakers.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I doubt your TV has "S-Video in" (unless it's a really old TV) therefore I don't see how you're going to wire your video from your stereo into the TV.

I also doubt your TV has a composite "video in".

Run HDMI to the tv for everything video, and run fiber out from the tv to the receiver. Any tv made in the past decade or so should have fiber out for this purpose specifically. When the reciever is set to TV/Sat, whatever video source is on the tv will play through the AVR. All his audio devices should be connected to the AVR using the best connection available, which is most likely going to be composite, possibly digital coax or fiber for CD, etc. Its possible the tv still has a composite/s-video or component input, unless its a low end tv, or a recently made smart tv. Monoprice will sell switchers that upconvert, so he can run them into the switcher, and then out to the tv using HDMI if he wanted. Or even run the component video devices to the AVR, and the AVR out to the converter to the tv. Everything he wants is doable, and he can even get a bluetooth or wifi enabled audio adapter that would let him stream music from his phone etc, or he can get a firestick or apple tv, stream to the device and the tv would send the audio signal to the receiver. We can make it as simple or complicated as he wants, but its all doable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom