Any credit gurus here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Marrying my current wife 12 years ago this year changed my entire life romantically but also financially. She brightened my outlook on my retirement future- something I had never thought of before, and she helped straighten out and strengthen my financial health.

I was a complete mess until she got ahold of me. I had the worst credit for a person in my financial condition (Ive hit 7 figures plus on paper before). When we met I co-owned a business with my last ex wife and ran or had money in several other small businesses in 2 states, I owned a downtown condo in a northern city and for more than 25 years I have owned an Aframe cabin with surrounding land up on the mountain in the west, had a bunch of cars and trucks and bikes, snowmobiles, jetskiis, a ton of guitars and gear that I used in my band work, and lots of other 'big boy toy stuff'- everything I think I basically bought with cash or maybe traded for. Whereas her, she was Ms perfect credit history, always did everything right, just like my mother, always doing the responsible things in life- been in a long time job in corporate with a steady large salary and bonuses, benefits, she had paid off mortgages on several houses and had just bought another for an investment, she had had many new car loans and had just bought herself a new car, her few credit cards she kept her balances current and used her rewards mainly for when she traveled, plus she had some nice investments along with a fat 401k from 20 something years on the job. She always paid her bills on time and always had great credit, her husband had passed away not long after their divorce and she took the money from life insurance policies she still had on him and built trusts for her kids for their college. Im sure marrying me challenged her good credit status a bit for awhile until she got me straightened out.

I was the total opposite, always been wild with my money, never let anybody help me with it, always been more of a hustler type flying by the seat of my pants like my father than a patient hang in there hard worker like my mother, and never had my eye on the future beyond the next year or so. I started and ran a bunch of small cash oriented businesses (a coin-op billiards vending route, 2 tattoo shops, small recording studio, rock music venue/bar) a few while still in highschool, all with cash from working for my father in his business and a little from an inheritance my grandfather left for me that I took control of when I was 18. I always used cash or a credit card in my business and personal day to day expenses. I didnt want to know anything about loans or using credit besides credit cards, I just didnt like loans, if I didnt have the cash to buy it then I didnt buy it. At 33 yrs old when me and my wife met I had never taken out a loan for anything even though my mother was a retired banker, didnt have a current credit card as I had just cut them all up after my last divorce, and the only reason I even still had a bank account debit card was for my manager to be able to get cash to me while out on the road working in bands. I had assets but I was terrible at paying attention to personal money managament and had not started any planning for my future as far as retirement or large investments. In our business we had someone do the accounting for us so I never had to mess with that and my personal money situation was a trainwreck.

Today even though I was already in the black when we met I was messy with my money. Now Im more organized. I have a few credit cards that I keep under control and paid up, I have built my credit score up via short term asset- liquid and solid- backed loans, and while I still use some cash I use debit cards more and credit cards when I have to and no longer pay for everything with just cash or bank transfers. And I am for once in my life thinking about what is down the road, like in retirement. Hopefully in 10 years or so at around 55, maybe 60, I'll give it all up and sell everything and settle down in one place, so now I am socking away all of my extra money into investment, retirement and health accounts, etc, where previously I would have been buying sports cars or vintage guitars, etc.

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand, you're a sad little boy with an inferiority complex...

...and a Brodozer!

Seriously, why wouldn't you care what I have to say (I think you meant "I couldn't give 2 ***** what you think)?

This is a thread about finances and I've outperformed you on EVERY SINGLE parameter you can measure regarding finances. I listen to all advice when it comes from people that are doing better than I am in a specific field, that's how we get better.

If people that are doing better than you utilize credit cards, you must be one poor sumbitch.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is big difference that seems to be getting lost here. That difference is between owing a debt and owing INTEREST on that debt.

Debt is not bad. Heck, every time you eat out, you incur a debt. it's usually brought to the table in a big fancy leather folder. You pay that debt, you leave the restaurant. No biggie. Same thing with not carrying a balance on a credit card. You rack up the debt, then pay it off at the end of the month (or whenever the grace period is).

When you carry a balance is when that debt becomes bad. that balance accrues interest - usually at a shocking rate. THAT is when you pay money to borrow money on a credit card. It take fiscal discipline to effectively use a credit card. Those that can't think cards are bad. Those that can realize how powerful of a tool they can be.

It all has to do with how disciplined you are.

and, CHenry, two words: Rolling Coal

mmmm hmm... I went there.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the flight is free but opnce you land you better have some money. I was in a position like this years ago where it wouldnt have mattered if the travel was free, I couldnt afford the vacation itself. Now days, people who make $40k a year are barely buying the groceries and paying the light bill. They can't afford a trip involving hotels, eating out or tickets to Disney for a family of 5. Free flight or not.

Who says they have to pay for the hotel? There are many ways to stay free, including reward points from regular spending or sitting through a two hour timeshare sales pitch.

And seriously... if someone can barely buy groceries and pay the light bill on $40K/yr, they need to re-evaluate their current situation and consider downsizing or alternatives. I know that minus the cigars and Scotch, we could go back to working at Walmart and make the house payment, all of our current bills, contribute to savings, and even keep eating vegan (her) and two steaks a day (me). With a little work on the rewards from our normal expenses (such as transferring points to other programs that have a better conversion rate), and sitting through a timeshare sales pitch, we could probably still take 4-5 days away "for free".

Been a while since I checked, but I'm sure Orlando area timeshares will throw in Disneyworld tickets for the whole family to listen to their pitch.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and, CHenry, two words: Rolling Coal

GREAT example of CHenry's expertise!

If I wanted to be the best Bro'Dozer driver in my Super Dooty I'd absolutely want to learn from Clay.

See, I'm not too prideful to admit that I'm not an expert and he could definitely teach me how to "Roll Coal"

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't forget that he can use his train horns while rolling coal. How many millionaires do you know driving trucks like that? Probably none, but Clay ain't no millionaire. He's just a guy that knows for a fact that all millionaires don't use credit cards and that he has greater financial expertise than anyone on the internet.
My truck is stock other than the wheels. One of my stock wheels cracked and it was cheaper over all to buy aftermarket for four than buy one factory. The stacks are no longer on it and I built them myself for $50.
Several of the millionaires I know are oil and gas guys and drive trucks much nicer than mine. Mine is 12 years old and has 250k miles on it, theirs are new. Mine is used to pull a gooseneck stock trailer to haul cows or my broodmare and a camper on occasion. Theirs are for bar hopping.
The bro-dozer term is cute though.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, they are a lot cheaper than that on AA.com if your a frequent flyer member. We booked and went to Denver for $200 round trip last year per person. They send you the deals via email.

I don't doubt it.

Pricing also depends on when you book. The example I gave was a short notice order through Expedia, and the choice on the OKC->DEN leg was $370 for OKC->DEN or $85 for OKC->JAC and get off in Denver - same flight number leaving OKC. When I experienced the computer malfunction that resulted in buying half a plane, I was charged four prices that went up by a set amount after a certain number of seats were bought. It wasn't for the seat location, because particular airline does the free for all route.

The example about using Jackson Hole, Wyoming as a final destination to get off at the Denver layover for a cheaper flight is something that many concierge services will find for you if you are doing a one-day trip or can pack your whole trip into a carry-on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lol....you need to get around more. I have a BIL that is a successful surgeon, that sumbitch couldn't come up with $20 cash without digging through the cushions of the couch for change....but he is taking his family to France this summer on rewards points. Poor dumb bastard, had he avoided credit cards he could have paid for this trip out of his savings rather than with CC points that didn't cost him anything.

My son sells medical equipment in the Dallas/Ft Worth metro, and has problems finding doctors with enough credit to buy his equipment.
Between their college loans and starting the business, they go into the hole.

Bad for my son, and bad for the patients that can't get the latest technology.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand, you're a sad little boy with an inferiority complex...

...and a Brodozer!

Seriously, why wouldn't you care what I have to say (I think you meant "I couldn't give 2 ***** what you think)?

This is a thread about finances and I've outperformed you on EVERY SINGLE parameter you can measure regarding finances. I listen to all advice when it comes from people that are doing better than I am in a specific field, that's how we get better.

Stop the personal attacks. If you have an opinon, post it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom