Any Horse or Cattle People?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been raising goats for about 30 years now. I think they are the perfect small homesteader livestock. I raise the Nigerian Dwarf breed and a few crosses. They eat weeds and leaves....smaller for maintenance duties...can easily have 20 or so on an acre of land........produce a lot of milk if that's what you want.....edible if that's what you want.....very smart, almost like a dog if that's what you want. You can check our out website at tyny.com to see the critters.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re already getting into it, I’m sure that you know it’s a more expensive hobby than guns/shooting. When things slow down in life, I’ve considered getting into the cutting horse world. I just don’t have the time right now. I ride pretty often, and I’ve trained quite a few animals for driving (horses, mules, zonkeys, and zorses). Maybe we could try to put together a trail ride and shoot for all the members that ride.
It certainly is prohibitively expensive, but that reminds me of something nobody has yet mentioned: mounted shooting! That is about as cool as equestrian sports come, in my opinion... But, I like the idea.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Peter1861 i used to ride a lot as a kid and we used to punch cows for about a decade. My parents horses have finally all passed away and the last one they had finally got sold the other day.

I do have my saddle I need gotten rid of if I can make myself sell it. Maybe you or someone you know is interested.
I might be, but it’s going to be some time, I’m short on cash and my ranch has saddles.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been raising goats for about 30 years now. I think they are the perfect small homesteader livestock. I raise the Nigerian Dwarf breed and a few crosses. They eat weeds and leaves....smaller for maintenance duties...can easily have 20 or so on an acre of land........produce a lot of milk if that's what you want.....edible if that's what you want.....very smart, almost like a dog if that's what you want. You can check our out website at tyny.com to see the critters.
I’ve heard several “cowboys” say they would raise goats if they could go back in time/own their own ranch.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not currently, but the wife and I both grew up in the Panhandle. She was raised on a farm/ranch a few miles SW of Elkhart, KS, and almost in the most extreme NW part of Texas County. I was raised in Keyes, OK, which is over in Cimarron County by about 20 miles or so from where she grew up. All things considered, farm and ranch jobs (mostly farming) was about the only type of job that a young fellow could find while growing up. My grandpa and dad were both farmers.

I also worked a few years for the wife's father, so we dealt with cattle more there than I did when I was growing up and working for Dad and Grandpa.

Going beyond that, we used to vacation a lot at Purgatoire River Campground, which is west and north from Trinidad, CO, and we've traveled quite a bit through Colorado. As for South Dakota, the wife and I did vacation there around Rapid City about a year and a half ago.

All that said, welcome to OSA.
I love that whole area, Kenton, Felt, Boise City, and Pritchett/Kim/Toonerville, Colorado. I’d like to live in that area after college.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I’m still relatively new here; I see hunting and fishing are pretty popular topics, but I was wondering how many of you are Western riding/equestrian/rodeo/cattle enthusiasts? I just feel like there should be more discussion given this forum is for Oklahoma... 😂

For starters, I’m not a big rodeo fan but I’m slowly getting into the Western reining and cutting horse world, and cattle breeding (though I don’t actually own any of my own cattle)

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I’m still relatively new here; I see hunting and fishing are pretty popular topics, but I was wondering how many of you are Western riding/equestrian/rodeo/cattle enthusiasts? I just feel like there should be more discussion given this forum is for Oklahoma... 😂

For starters, I’m not a big rodeo fan but I’m slowly getting into the Western reining and cutting horse world, and cattle breeding (though I don’t actually own any of my own cattle).
I used to be a Cattle Barron, until I retired. I figurted out right quick, I had to have a GOOD paying job to support that hobby! There is no shortage of horse, and cattle people around my part, the Tulsa area, there are several horse camps down in the Ozarks, of Arkansas, as well as other places for trail ride enthusiast, as well as round up clubs, etc.! I'm not sure but would guess there are several related forums in Oklahoma!

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It certainly is prohibitively expensive, but that reminds me of something nobody has yet mentioned: mounted shooting! That is about as cool as equestrian sports come, in my opinion... But, I like the idea.
We are in total agreement that mounted shooting is pretty cool. There’s not many events that are close enough to justify the drive for me. The Lazy E has one or two a year, and there’s a few in the Eastern part of the state. Probably the closest event for you to watch is the World Finals in Amarillo, TX.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hmmmm....mounted shooting....is that a combination sport...hunting and bronc riding ?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmmmm....mounted shooting....is that a combination sport...hunting and bronc riding ?

Or, maybe this one?

As for me, I've been thrown from too many horses without adding the noise of gunfire from behind their heads and adding to the occasions that I have to get up off the ground. At my age and physical condition, either getting up on the horse or getting up off the ground is a challenge at times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom