Any LONG-RANGE shooters here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
x2 on the M995, I've got the same in a .30-378. Trying to decide on putting a longer tube on the .30-378 or switching over to a .338 cartridge of some type.

The thing that kills me about the M995 rifle is the price it cost new back then. This 338 Lapua was priced at 699. Brand new about 14 years ago. Try and get ANY Sako for that now. LOL

I built a 30-378 a few years back using a brake a friend builds and sells. Holy cow, that sucker is loud and burns nearly 120 grains of powder with 180's. The recoil was insane before the brake and the rifle weighed over 11 pounds without a scope. I sold it. it was a bit much, even for me.

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,

i was thinking about the 8x32. that new MOAR reticle seems really nice. I agree, it takes a long time to save up for these crazy priced thing. The barrel is 30", but I think the final length will be 29 once it is all done. Lapua says you do best with a barrel at least 27.5" in length or longer. I can always set it back later if I go long. its an 8 contour.

I have seen guys use a 22" for the Lapua. Seems short to me for that much powder.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David,

i was thinking about the 8x32. that new MOAR reticle seems really nice. I agree, it takes a long time to save up for these crazy priced thing. The barrel is 30", but I think the final length will be 29 once it is all done. Lapua says you do best with a barrel at least 27.5" in length or longer. I can always set it back later if I go long. its an 8 contour.

I have seen guys use a 22" for the Lapua. Seems short to me for that much powder.

I took a gander at the MOAR reticle and it looked pretty nice to me too...

I loose several builds a year from guys wanting "too short" of a barrel on some of these magnum calibers and I simply refuse to do it. It makes no sence to put a 24" or even a 26" barrel on a cartridge that burns 120+ grains of powder. Why short change yourself and lose so much velocity from a high intensity cartridge. I have built several 30-378 Weatherby rifles with 3-groove barrels 36" long. Now this is how you make a cartridge sing allow for full potential of the cartridge. Yes, 36" may be a little on the long side but, it also allows for setting the barrel back a couple of inches when it's accuracy starts to go south....

DAVID

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been following this thread with great interest of learning a few things, and I have.
My buddy called tonight, and has ordered a Savage .338 Lapua. It will be here in about a week.
He is wanting to get into the long range hunting game. In this part of Oklahoma, (North Central) longer shots are the norm vs the woodland deer east and south.
We both spent some time online today looking for ammo, or brass. He insists on Lapua brass. I found some at Barrett, but its out of stock.
Sellers and Beloit has some loaded ammo, but he isn't interested in it.
So, basically If anybody has some "constructive" input about where to find loaded ammo or Lapua brass, he would sure like to get a source. Who knew this caliber would be so hard to find quality ammo for?
He has been browsing the net for several weeks reading about ammo, etc. His new rifle will come with a 1-9 twist, and from what he has read, the 300 grain is the most accurate.
Is he out of line wanting to gt Lapua brass only? I suggested Starline, but he is stuck on the factory stuff.

Scope recomendations for under a grand?
He is looking at a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 with EBR-1 MRAD Reticle thats $950

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Scope recomendations for under a grand?
He is looking at a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 with EBR-1 MRAD Reticle thats $950

I would highly reccomend the Vortex scopes, my dealings with them are very limited, but they seem to be amazing for the price. On a 338 I think I would want a higher top magnification than 24 too, that being said I don't think Vortex makes a PST that goes higher. Can't go wrong with that scope, but to me it would just be "for starters" on that gun.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He has a line on the Vortex through Optics Planet. Is there one more suited to 600-1000 yd ranges? New to the game, and he is not wanting to get the wrong scope for a start. I'm sure it will be closer to 600 than a 1000 for a long time.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If ranges are to be closer to 600 yds. than 1,000 yds. for a while, the Vortex Viper in 6X-20X-50mm with 30mm tube would be an excellent scope to start with. I got one to put on my 30-284 that I am building and I really like it. I got it with the wide thin duplex reticle and it tracks extremely well - most important in a long range scope...

The Bushnell 6500 series scope in 4.5X-30X-50mm is also an excellent scope...

If you've got the money to get the best, then a Night Force or March scope is the only way to go...

One thing to remember though - if you can't see your target, you can't hit it....

DAVID

Latest posts

Top Bottom