Any Pilots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, who else on here is a pilot?

I'm currently working on my PPL at KOUN. Had my first solo 2 weeks ago and will be starting cross country work in the next 2-3 weeks. Hoping to at a minimum get my CFI, best case would be a corporate job. I still need to clean up my landings a bit...still tend to plop down rather than greasing it, so to speak.

There's nothing like being alone 3000' above the ground and being able to look down on the world from a vantage point few people ever see.

So, who makes the airport their hangout at least once a month?

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, who else on here is a pilot?

I'm currently working on my PPL at KOUN. Had my first solo 2 weeks ago and will be starting cross country work in the next 2-3 weeks. Hoping to at a minimum get my CFI, best case would be a corporate job. I still need to clean up my landings a bit...still tend to plop down rather than greasing it, so to speak.

There's nothing like being alone 3000' above the ground and being able to look down on the world from a vantage point few people ever see.

So, who makes the airport their hangout at least once a month?

Wow... expect to get a nice job flying canceled checks or hauling banners for about a million hours before you break into a good General Aviation job.

30 years ago I sounded a lot like you. Ex military will always get the best jobs driving airplanes.

Crop dusting used to be a money maker... but I never could get enough hours to break in

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started building hours back in 1998 outta high school. Then I started college and didn't have extra money to carry on.

Been looking off and on for a CFI to get with locally and start flying again. About to get a few things paid off / down and will try to jump in again.

Back then, instructor time was $14/hr and flight was $50/hr wet for a 150. It's not quite that cheap anymore...

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm just flying part time right now...working two part time jobs in addition. Makes for about a 60 hr week, generally 7 days a week. If it turns into a career, so be it. If not, at least I've been able to check off a box on my life goals list. Thanks for the downer there though, Jeff, in what was meant to be a lighthearted thread.

rahzel100

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received my private certificate at KRVS a couple years ago. I was planning on going all the way to MEI and getting my ATP but decided I wanted to hit the security side of aerospace. Night flights were my favorite. I haven't been able to fly in quite a while. I need to get back up.

MBowman325

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd looked at going through one of the flight schools (ATP or the Delta one in Fl) and trying to get into the corporate arena. I've got an uncle and some others that I talked to who flew (or fly) corporate that kinda got me outta that train of thought though. If I didn't have any ties to responsibilities at home, I'd go for it.

I decided instead that I'll go get rich and just fly for my personal enlightenment. :)

Now.... I just need to go get rich.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just flying part time right now...working two part time jobs in addition. Makes for about a 60 hr week, generally 7 days a week. If it turns into a career, so be it. If not, at least I've been able to check off a box on my life goals list. Thanks for the downer there though, Jeff, in what was meant to be a lighthearted thread.

Sorry to be a downer... but after I spent the night in a Tri-Islander a few times because the boss was too tight to spring for a room ( not PIC... tagging along as "crew" read: box mover)... I guess I am a bitter old man:drunk:

PS... always look for the bright side... we were in FT Myers and it was warm out...LOL

I'd still be flying (Private, SEL and just short of Instrument rated) but those $100 hamburgers were getting in the way of housepayments

RobC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a corporate pilot so I fly for a living. You could say that I hang out at airports daily. Right now I am waiting for passengers to show up for a trip to Lafayette for a football game.

Rob

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pilatus 7SE? :)

Someone get pics of that Continental 737 at SWO...that's gotta be a cool sight. When you get Gulfstreams into KOUN, they dwarf everything else on the tarmac. Can't imagine a 737 at some place like SWO. Unfortunately, we have Will Rogers right up the road so we don't get many of the big charters in here like SWO.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KSWO

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My roommate is a pilot, and he's freaking addicted. He's at the airport at least twice a week when he can get there between classes. Flies all the time. We play FSX on a LAN occasionally, and he takes it sooo seriously. Working for a USAF pilot slot so I don't blame him. I wouldn't mind flying C-17s

Latest posts

Top Bottom