Any recommendations on a Shortwave radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really sure I want to start a new thread, but I got a new radio this week. It's an Icom ID-52A, basically the hottest handheld radio on the market. It kind of better be for the price. I finally got the last piece of my main antenna in today also, hopefully it will go up this weekend and I can talk to the rest of the world. Thankfully my father donated the antenna, power supply and one of the radios I'm using, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do all this as of now. Needless to say my ammo budget is blown for a bit.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not really sure I want to start a new thread, but I got a new radio this week. It's an Icom ID-52A, basically the hottest handheld radio on the market. It kind of better be for the price. I finally got the last piece of my main antenna in today also, hopefully it will go up this weekend and I can talk to the rest of the world. Thankfully my father donated the antenna, power supply and one of the radios I'm using, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do all this as of now. Needless to say my ammo budget is blown for a bit.
I had a Yaesu FT-991 for my first HF radio. Last month I bought a Yaesu FTDX-10. It is a great radio. It is really good for working digital modes as well as voice.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Uh oh, I may have jinxed myself on the test, I ordered an IC-7300 transceiver. :wink2:
Did you get it? Man oh man, those those seem to be made out of Unobtainium.

I've innerwebbed searching for one in stock, and have called the ham retailers all over the place.

None. Zero. Zilch. .

I'm pretty much a Yaesu guy, although I have an older ICOM HF radio that works fine. I just want a more modern radio that does the fancy stuff, etc.

I've also got a 6 year old Yaesu HF radio, but I got the itch for the Icom 7300, mainly because I was lucky enough to get a slightly used Icom AH4 remote tuner at a smokin' good deal, and the AH4 and 7300 play together really well. Really well.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why the D-Star radio? Is that mode particularly useful in the OKC Metro or do you plan to use the Internet link capabilities for DX contacts? I have some D-Star radios & it really never took hold in Tulsa.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why the D-Star radio? Is that mode particularly useful in the OKC Metro or do you plan to use the Internet link capabilities for DX contacts? I have some D-Star radios & it really never took hold in Tulsa.
It's not so much for the D-Star, it's the ability to sort nearby repeaters by GPS that I wanted. Just click a few buttons and it pulls up a list of both analog and digital repeaters you can access by distance. Very handy for field work. I have a FTM-400XD I can use for fusion if I want, that seems to be more common here.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get it? Man oh man, those those seem to be made out of Unobtainium.

I've innerwebbed searching for one in stock, and have called the ham retailers all over the place.

None. Zero. Zilch. .

I'm pretty much a Yaesu guy, although I have an older ICOM HF radio that works fine. I just want a more modern radio that does the fancy stuff, etc.

I've also got a 6 year old Yaesu HF radio, but I got the itch for the Icom 7300, mainly because I was lucky enough to get a slightly used Icom AH4 remote tuner at a smokin' good deal, and the AH4 and 7300 play together really well. Really well.
I got it from Gigaparts, but I think I got the last one. They have been out since it came in. Hold on to that tuner, it's now out of production for a new model, but they haven't said what it is yet.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Yaesu FT-991 for my first HF radio. Last month I bought a Yaesu FTDX-10. It is a great radio. It is really good for working digital modes as well as voice.
FTDX-10 is a great radio and was my alternate choice for the 7300. A big motivator is they have the 7300 at $200 off plus a $100 rebate right now.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more thing, I do plan on getting one of those little hotspots for home that do multiple digital modes and let you transcode between services. They are run by Raspberry Pi boards though and those are extremely hard to get right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom