HVAC advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the market for a new system. Any recommendations? I'm not particularly brand loyal, but I also don't want to spend extra for a name.

House is roughly 2400 square ft, but 400 or so of that is an upstairs storage room that has a window unit and wouldn't factor in.

Ruled out minisplits. Had a guy recommend a Daikin unit (not sure what it's actually called, it's both condenser and heater in one unit that sits outside. But reviews for Daikin scare me lol, not sure what to do. I'm just hesitant because this is the 1st guy, and not seeking a 2nd opinion seems silly.

Thanks for any input.
Definitely get multiple quotes. Daikin is a solid brand and I’ve used their mini splits twice. Problem is not a lot of hvac techs are approved service contrvactors for their units. I used airco and they were definitely not cheap but I also went with the most efficient system on the market and they did a reduct of my house, ran a gas line to my attic, and wired in for a system (there wasn’t one previously). Good luck. I’d just highly recommend getting like 5 quotes and compare them.

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ASAP in Tulsa has been doing some good work for me recently. They like Lennox, and oddly, I like Lennox too. That said, I've had Goodman units almost as old as I am that have run just fine as long as you took care of them.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had three new Carrier heat pump units installed 3.5 years ago. Two have performed flawlessly but that third one? They’ve pretty much rebuilt the entire outside unit piece by piece. Good news it’s all been covered under warranty no questions asked which I believe is 5 years because I registered them with the factory. Thank you Jesus.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had three new Carrier heat pump units installed 3.5 years ago. Two have performed flawlessly but that third one? They’ve pretty much rebuilt the entire outside unit piece by piece. Good news it’s all been covered under warranty no questions asked which I believe is 5 years because I registered them with the factory. Thank you Jesus.
The warranty is a good point as well. I got a 12year parts and labor warranty with mine as long as they come out and do a once a year service and cleaning ($150). To me, that’s well worth it

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of mixed on what system to use. Our home was built in the late 80's. We moved into it in the early 90's.
It had a total electric system with the electric heat strips that worked great.
In about 2019 decided the system was getting old, and needed replaced. It was still operating perfectly, but we bought into the new heat pump that's gonna save you money........blah, blah.
Had it installed.
Back with the old system, we kept the house at about 69 to 70 degrees and was comfortable.
Electric bill was as an example, $150. After the heat pump installation that was so "energy efficient" our bill has not gone down. We do the annual averaging so it's pretty easy to track as the major cold/heat spells are averaged out.
Now in the winter though, we have to keep the heat up to 75 degrees and are always cold. Evenings are spent wrapped up in a blanket in the recliners.
That is the major complaint against heat pumps from what I read on the internet. People are always feeling cold because of the way they generate the heat.
So, it didn't diminish our electric bill at all IMHO, but we have a new Bryant unit that has ran without any issues.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Regarding heat pumps. Recall OGE was really pushing them back in the 80's and 90's. The best thing since apple pie! Well. The only way they could compete with gas was that they cut your rate per kWh by half in the months of Nov thru Feb 'after' you hit a certain usage for the month. Can't recall how much you had to hit but it made the math work out. But, the newer heat pumps are said to work better in our climate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom