HVAC advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the market for a new system. Any recommendations? I'm not particularly brand loyal, but I also don't want to spend extra for a name.

House is roughly 2400 square ft, but 400 or so of that is an upstairs storage room that has a window unit and wouldn't factor in.

Ruled out minisplits. Had a guy recommend a Daikin unit (not sure what it's actually called, it's both condenser and heater in one unit that sits outside. But reviews for Daikin scare me lol, not sure what to do. I'm just hesitant because this is the 1st guy, and not seeking a 2nd opinion seems silly.

Thanks for any input.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Prices shot through the roof around scamdemic time. Got a 2 stage Carrier that seems to save a bit on the electric bill. I wasn't brand loyal either except for one that used proprietary parts, can't remember if it was Lennox or Rheem. There were a lot that were not available at the time of summer 2022. So far happy with the Carrier, high efficency propane heat with the 2 stage cool.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Daikin makes good units but a mini split system for 2400 sq ft wouldn't make sense unless it was going to use ceiling cassettes or multiple indoor wall units to evenly distribute the cooling.

If you already have ductwork that is in good shape, then a traditional system just makes more sense.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What area of the state are you in? OKC area? Tulsa area? I know a couple small and reputable people in the OKC area.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
Daikin makes good units but a mini split system for 2400 sq ft wouldn't make sense unless it was going to use ceiling cassettes or multiple indoor wall units to evenly distribute the cooling.

If you already have ductwork that is in good shape, then a traditional system just makes more sense.

No, we ruled out minisplits. The unit this guy is talking about has a big insulated duct from the unit outside to the inside ductwork.

Our old system is in the crawl space and it's a pain, but a conventional system would need a closet built inside. Which is we we got to talking about this package unit.

Rustytweezers

Wall building Ammunition hoarding Gun packing Okie
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lennox has a a lot of internal parts, trane and carrier are both expensive but very reliable and efficient. But I have a rheem that we finally replaced the compressor on after 20 plus years of great service. I would go with trans and zone the system so you will probably need an extra smaller condensing unit for the upper part of the house. But zoning it will keep it from running so hard and let it run more efficiently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom