HVAC advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heat pumps stop heating at 25-30 degrees. Then usually the electric resistance heating coils are activated; at this point you’ve got electric heat.
Ours did that the other night when it hit 15 degrees. We turned the thermostat down to 70 and were comfortable.

1. Gas furnaces produce air that is 130-140°F range. So 85-92°F feels cold to new heat pump owners.
  2. Your body temperature is around 98.6°F (everyone’s body temperature is slightly different, but that’s the average). Since heat pumps produce air that’s below that, it can feel cold to you.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American Standard is supposed to one of the better units, I bought one in 2014 and haven;t had a speck of trouble.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for HVAC folks. I have a small greenhouse propane heater that I've had for years. ;No electricity or blower, etc. The thermostat is a millivolt unit. The company /manufacturer I bought it from has since closed. Came into the greenhouse today and the burner was fired up when it shouldn't have been ( set at 45 dgrees). Manipulating the thermostat would not cause it to go off. Turned the gas off to the unit......relit the pilot and the burner fired back up as soon as the knob turned to ON. I *assume* this is a thermostat issue. My question is will any millivolt type thermostat work to replace the one I have ? or is there possibly another issue ?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the market for a new system. Any recommendations? I'm not particularly brand loyal, but I also don't want to spend extra for a name.

House is roughly 2400 square ft, but 400 or so of that is an upstairs storage room that has a window unit and wouldn't factor in.

Ruled out minisplits. Had a guy recommend a Daikin unit (not sure what it's actually called, it's both condenser and heater in one unit that sits outside. But reviews for Daikin scare me lol, not sure what to do. I'm just hesitant because this is the 1st guy, and not seeking a 2nd opinion seems silly.

Thanks for any input.
Air Factory. Oklahoma City Heating & Air Conditioning | 24-Hour Repair

Used them several months ago, super happy with service and pricing.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question for HVAC folks. I have a small greenhouse propane heater that I've had for years. ;No electricity or blower, etc. The thermostat is a millivolt unit. The company /manufacturer I bought it from has since closed. Came into the greenhouse today and the burner was fired up when it shouldn't have been ( set at 45 dgrees). Manipulating the thermostat would not cause it to go off. Turned the gas off to the unit......relit the pilot and the burner fired back up as soon as the knob turned to ON. I *assume* this is a thermostat issue. My question is will any millivolt type thermostat work to replace the one I have ? or is there possibly another issue ?
it should ,but that sounds like it might be a stuck gas valve

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can read the whole story or jump to the last statement. 😁 Our old unit was a POS. Broke down about 2-3 times per season (summer and winter). It was a couple year old home when we bought it. So we were surprised by how often it crashed. I was beginning the process of shopping for a new one when the pandemic hit. We put if off because of the pandemic. About a month or two after we came out of the pandemic the POS died. Like $2500 repair cost. I decided I was tired of it being broken all the time. So we put a new unit in (Trane).

All that to say the POS was a I believe an Armstrong. So maybe avoid those.

Latest posts

Top Bottom