Any Transmission Guys here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is talking about the first gear transmission ratio not the rear end. Some manual transmissions in trucks can have a really low first gear called a granny gear. I would check with Blumenthals and see if they know what might be available for a transmission gear swap.
He mentioned better highway gears so its not just 1st gear. He needs a different rear end.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Change the rear end gears.
(copied)
There is 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10. The 3.08 and 3.27 are more common in 2wd's but can be found in 4x4's while the other ratio's are more common in 4x4's but can be found in 2wd's. Most common is 3.55. Go underneath and look at the tag on the diff. You will find the ratio reading the bottom line from the bolt out. Some times the first number has been crushed by the bolt so you will have to interpret.
Awesome. Thanks sir.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is talking about the first gear transmission ratio not the rear end. Some manual transmissions in trucks can have a really low first gear called a granny gear. I would check with Blumenthals and see if they know what might be available for a transmission gear swap.
Like CHenry said. I need all the above.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He mentioned better highway gears so its not just 1st gear. He needs a different rear end.
My times have changed. 4:30 gears in my F-250 with 7.3 liter Godzilla engine. The 10 speed transmission runs the same RPM in 10th gear as my cousins F-250 with a 320 something rear end. We get the same highway mileage.
I will say the OP may have one of the old standard shift 5 speeds that did indeed have 1st as a granny gear for getting loads out of the hole and moving.
For every day driving with no load. Only gears 2nd through 5th is used. 1st never used unless needed. Drive it like a 4 speed and never look back.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an old 1990 Ford F250 I am restoring. The transmission is geared very low. Like 1st gear is granny gear low.

Is it possible to gut the lower geared transmission and replace the lower speed with higher speed gears. More driving and High Way friendly gears.

1990 Ford Ford F250. 460 ci. 5 speed manual. Thanks in advance.

Mike

View attachment 468999
Call these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PrecisionTransmission

1712628284420.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yeah, those 460’s rarely ever got over 10 mpg. If it’s mileage you’re looking to gain, by changing the rear end gearing, the cost of having it done would probably never offset the 1-2 mpg gain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom