Any Transmission Guys here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same with my '79 F150 4X4. I bypassed the neutral safety switch so I could start it in first gear without depressing the clutch pedal. Even while off road, going up a hill, with a rick of firewood in the bed. It was super nice when rock crawling and going down steep inclines. At idle, walking was a much faster pace than that truck moved.

This is how we hauled hay with them and feed cows.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally, the lemonade ain't worth the squeeze here. I mean, you hope to go from 9MPG to 10MPG on the highway? I'd spend the money on more insulation in the cab and motor on.

Good luck with the restoration.
I guess I am not understanding this. You are refferring to the big 460 motor. The size and weight of the vehicle? Am I correct?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I am not understanding this. You are refferring to the big 460 motor. The size and weight of the vehicle? Am I correct?
Yeah, I'm just saying that an old truck with a 460 is going to get pretty terrible mileage however you cut it. For me, getting really bad mileage wouldn't be worth swapping gears to get ever so slightly better, but still terrible mileage.

Those things had lots of torque for the era.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
So the 1990 Ford F250 came with a 10.25 Sterling axle. What would putting a 3.55 gear set do for me? Does this also involve any transmission work?

Nobody can really give any accurate ideas on what may or may not help you without knowing a few things that have already been asked. There's no need to touch the transmission for anything.

1. What are the current gears? All this is moot if you're already running 3.55 gears.
2. Are the current tires stock size?
3. What load weight if any do you want to tow?

Keep this in mind also. Say you are currently running 4.11 or 3.73 gears. Those lower gears are doing "work" to help the transmission and engine(fuel consumption) to move your truck. If you go to higher gears say 3.55, something will have to make up for the "work" from gear loss. So your options would be to have a heavier foot, more fuel....or not use 5th gear and stay in 4th gear to make up for the gear loss from the gear swap. This would all be true at highway speeds unless I'm vastly underestimating the 460hp/tq.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody can really give any accurate ideas on what may or may not help you without knowing a few things that have already been asked. There's no need to touch the transmission for anything.

1. What are the current gears? All this is moot if you're already running 3.55 gears.
2. Are the current tires stock size?
3. What load weight if any do you want to tow?

Keep this in mind also. Say you are currently running 4.11 or 3.73 gears. Those lower gears are doing "work" to help the transmission and engine(fuel consumption) to move your truck. If you go to higher gears say 3.55, something will have to make up for the "work" from gear loss. So your options would be to have a heavier foot, more fuel....or not use 5th gear and stay in 4th gear to make up for the gear loss from the gear swap. This would all be true at highway speeds unless I'm vastly underestimating the 460hp/tq.
Well said.
If it were me I'd sell the truck and get one without the 460. But I dont know if thats sometime you want to do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom